INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #1 
Despite being surrounded with instruments to fix, I diverted a little time to take a thoroughly thrashed Saraswati Veena and a road kill seven string Sitar and combine them into this "Prius" inspired string thing. Always wondered how a Sitar neck on a Veena body would work. Now I know. Even though the neck is reeeely deep, the frets are still reachable. Sound is a bit more sitarish than I was shooting for. A brass bridge and maybe some kind of waxed up fingerboard might bring the sound back into the realm of a Veena. Anyway, this is good for a laugh at least. Roit ! ! ! Back to work ! ! !

Attached Images
jpeg Kenner Veena.jpg (201.20 KB, 1 views)

OM GUY

Reply with quote  #2 
It's beeee-yute-afull though....and different....

You will no doubt post more views and surely sound, right?? I mean, it's Christmas after all, we could stand a good sound treat....!! :roll:

Reply with quote  #3 
That headstock is interesting. was it "stock" on that veena?
chefothefuture

Reply with quote  #4 
Kenner made some of my favorite toys....
I still have my "Girder and Panel" set....
chris thill

Reply with quote  #5 
Now I guess we need to hear what it sounds like...
barend

Reply with quote  #6 
Nice veetar!
Sharsitar

Reply with quote  #7 
Oh, do share a smidgens-tishen of a sound BITE from the lovely beast! How heavy is she?
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #8 
It is a Franken-Veena.
Love it.
Looks very cool.
Cant imagine how you can play it with such a deep neck, but cool idea anyway.

I love invented hybrid instruments.
povster

Reply with quote  #9 
Just thinking here and wondering how a more rudra vin shaped bridge would sound? Perhaps a hole cut in the tabli and a wood riser surrounding it and supporting the bridge.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #10 
cwroyds
I'd presume it's played like the traditional South Indian Veena with the arm stretching AROUND/OVER the neck with no thumb trying to get round the back bit.

Nick
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #11 
Been having a lot of fun with this beastie. The headstock is original. It looks kinda abstract elephantish if seen from just the right angle. The original neck top, even with the train track removed looked like a Spring run-off. With that mess removed, I layed down this seven string salvage neck top and rigged up some side panels to complete the new neck. It holds and plays well in both Southie Veena position and Sitar up position. The balance of it despite the weight allows a 45 degree sit down. That massive wood tumba side makes the right forearm extremely comfortable, like an old overstuffed chair. Sound bite, eh ? ? ? I'd be happy to let you all endure my scratching and clawing but being the techno-moron that I am, someone more gifted in that area will have to spell out to me just how to go about that. I DOOOO appreciate the tutorial on getting pics up on the forum. That has been most useful. Next instrument coming up will probably be an oversized Dilruba that's nearing completion.

Reply with quote  #12 
Well---- it sure looks like the correct amount of interest has been generated to hear this thing..... so looks like I will apply to be your agent....

" Hurry---hurry--hurry---- that's right folks..... step right up and hear the " Franken-veena......, yessss sir-eee bob....., jess place 10 Amer-kin dollas in my hand and step into yonder tent .......lissen all you like...."

No? 8)

We can make millions, I tell yah...millions!!

Reply with quote  #13 
Well yes, I'm going to buy a new truck but I'm thinking of an oversized Dilruba :wink: rim shot and crash
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.