INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
drtom

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings,

I have a customer who's the director of an organization that supports people with disabilities through music.  Over the years this organization has purchased five tabla sets through mail order or online from "reputable" sources.

Of the five sets, four came with weighted bayans, and he has asked me where he can go to avoid being cheated again.

I suspect some of you will suggest going directly to some of the big names in India.  That's fine, perhaps that's within his budget.  Hopefully, you can also suggest US based retailers that you've come to trust and are more easily affordable.

Thanks for your help.

david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
A weighted bayan, is NOT a question of cheating.  It is merely an intermediate quality that lays between a bayan that is heavy due to the natural thickness of the shell (very desirable) and one which is unweighted but lighter due to a thinner shell (less desirable).  The question is probably not one of cheating, but one of intermediates not having sufficient knowledge of their commodities.
drtom

Reply with quote  #3 
The cheating is by unscrupulous tabla makers.  I agree that many retailers are not knowledgeable about what they sell, and actually suggested this to my customer before seeking help here.

I'm sure some of you here have found reliable sources for tablas.

Thanks again.

By the way David, I did mention you to this customer as someone I trust by intuition.  I hope you don't mind.

Maybe you have a good tabla for sale.

david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
I do not mind at all.

Remember, a weighted bayan is not in itself cheating.   It is only cheating if a weighted bayan is being sold as though it were one of natural heft.  If given a choice between two shells, both of which have the same thickness of metal, yet one is weighted and the other is not, go for the weighted one. It will give you a better sound every time.
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #5 
Though not my primary line of interest, have heard from noted tabla players that weight in bayan at the bottom caused my molded lead is good one & costly too. However purely commercial people replace it with Plaster of paris, cement or other cheap and fragile weights selling at same high cost. That could be real cheating.. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.