INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #1 
Am I the only one that feels my Tabla playing is Largely at the mercy of weather???!

Weather conditions where I live does fluctuate quite a bit - and hence so does the sound of my tabla - and the impact on sound is VERY SIGNIFICANT-

If the weather is favourable to the tabla - it sounds beautiful - and I have the longest and best practice sessions

On other days my tabla sounds like a Dog.. Lol !

I do fiddle with the straps and pegs a little bit on off weather days - and it does help a bit - but overall the tabla won't sound quite like it does on good weather days.

How do you guys manage weather changes and your tabla?
Do you guys notice any change in your tabla sounds?
Does it frustrate you?
Are you able to overcome it?
Do I need to be more aggressive with my pegs and straps and tightly beat my tabla into a more sweet sounding tune?

Is it just me? Or is there magical tablas out there that sound super sweet and beautiful all the time - that strike out a beautiful D note all the time - no matter what - with no manipulation of pegs and straps required???
Where is Santa ??
Well I certainly feel this way because the performers on YouTube all have beautiful sounding tablas - while I struggle like hell behind the scenes with mine. I am never fully satisfied with the sound my tabla makes (even though it is a very nice set)

Do all tabla players struggle like me behind the scenes? Is Tari Khan beating his drums into tune a lot?? Coz I do that a lot - and all I see of Tari Khan is beautiful performances - and very little tabla tuning - So What's The Secret??????

On some SUMMER days it sounds beautiful -
AND On some WINTER days it sounds beautiful too -!

Whats going on here - ?? I am lost and cant predict if on any day it will sound good or bad!!

Some people say humidity is a factor - but I cant tell and feel that moisture levels indoor are quite constant here....

HELP PLEASE! :|

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
va4leo

Reply with quote  #2 
Just a suggestion....how about a video of the tabla on a "good" day and a "bad" day. Let's see what the difference is!

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "va4leo"
Just a suggestion....how about a video of the tabla on a "good" day and a "bad" day. Let's see what the difference is!
Thanks Vicknesh - maybe next time I'll try document a video clip of good and bad weather tabla days

I think maybe I am not being aggressive enough in manipulating straps and gatta for off weather days to make the tabla sound better.

In India it's generally hot all the time so I imagine tabla skins keep fairly constant tune in those conditions

An interesting observation I have made that if t is extreme summer or winter (very cold or very hot) my tabla sounds fantastic!

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaBeatz"

Whats going on here - ?? I am lost and cant predict if on any day it will sound good or bad!!

Some people say humidity is a factor - but I cant tell and feel that moisture levels indoor are quite constant here....

There's little doubt that humidity must be an important factor. You might be surprised at the variability of humidity, even in a controlled indoor environment. You might consider the purchase of an inexpensive hygrometer to measure the humidity. I have a cheap one in my room so I know at all times what the humidity level is (55% at the moment). It very much fluctuates according to the seasons (dryer in the winter here), as well as varying according to current conditions (e.g if it's raining or not, etc.). Even if you can't do much about it, at least you could determine just how sensitive your tabla is to current humidity level.

I'm reminded of a quip from Mark Twain: "Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it!"

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"

There's little doubt that humidity must be an important factor. You might be surprised at the variability of humidity, even in a controlled indoor environment. You might consider the purchase of an inexpensive hygrometer to measure the humidity. I have a cheap one in my room so I know at all times what the humidity level is (55% at the moment). It very much fluctuates according to the seasons (dryer in the winter here), as well as varying according to current conditions (e.g if it's raining or not, etc.). Even if you can't do much about it, at least you could determine just how sensitive your tabla is to current humidity level.

I'm reminded of a quip from Mark Twain: "Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it!"

Pascal
Pascal I think you are on to something - and it has to be the humidty changes in the room (unless I have a hygrometer as you suggested - I am not really able to tell the differences) -

I think I will have to invest in one of these hygrometers - sounds like a good idea - !

Also on a side note - have you noticed any correlations between humidity and tabla sounds and tuning - is there a sweet spot for humidity and your tabla's performance?

pbercker

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Pascal I think you are on to something - and it has to be the humidty changes in the room (unless I have a hygrometer as you suggested - I am not really able to tell the differences) -

I think I will have to invest in one of these hygrometers - sounds like a good idea - !

Also on a side note - have you noticed any correlations between humidity and tabla sounds and tuning - is there a sweet spot for humidity and your tabla's performance?
I've noticed that with humidity above 60% the tabla has a diminished resonance, but seems happiest around 45-50%.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Luistabla

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Am I the only one that feels my Tabla playing is Largely at the mercy of weather???!

Weather conditions where I live does fluctuate quite a bit - and hence so does the sound of my tabla - and the impact on sound is VERY SIGNIFICANT-

If the weather is favourable to the tabla - it sounds beautiful - and I have the longest and best practice sessions

On other days my tabla sounds like a Dog.. Lol !

I do fiddle with the straps and pegs a little bit on off weather days - and it does help a bit - but overall the tabla won't sound quite like it does on good weather days.

How do you guys manage weather changes and your tabla?
Do you guys notice any change in your tabla sounds?
Does it frustrate you?
Are you able to overcome it?
Do I need to be more aggressive with my pegs and straps and tightly beat my tabla into a more sweet sounding tune?

Is it just me? Or is there magical tablas out there that sound super sweet and beautiful all the time - that strike out a beautiful D note all the time - no matter what - with no manipulation of pegs and straps required???
Where is Santa ??
Well I certainly feel this way because the performers on YouTube all have beautiful sounding tablas - while I struggle like hell behind the scenes with mine. I am never fully satisfied with the sound my tabla makes (even though it is a very nice set)

Do all tabla players struggle like me behind the scenes? Is Tari Khan beating his drums into tune a lot?? Coz I do that a lot - and all I see of Tari Khan is beautiful performances - and very little tabla tuning - So What's The Secret??????

On some SUMMER days it sounds beautiful -
AND On some WINTER days it sounds beautiful too -!

YES!! at leat here in the north of Portugal we get too hot summers and really cold winter, i
Luistabla

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:

yes there is, the place of the shyai where you place "ne", as for Tas and Nas always have to have that support, the little spot where my finger touches it often becomes darker then the rest of the ink, when talcom on ink absorves humidity..

Also, the center if the shyai is also up for humidity, especially if you play tete compositions, that humidity darkening also happens..

And when this happens too much i just rub a tiny bit of talcum and pass my hand on the surface of the pudi to quickly clean it afterwards..

Luis
VNO Design

Reply with quote  #9 
I wanted to ask if you are consistently maintaining your drum in tune and balance, or are you noticing the sound change in terms of quality, and not necessarily in pitch? Also, about "beating" your Tabla, it's a very harsh visual. May I suggest taking some quality time to carefully rebalance and tune it. Sounds to me like the head is out of balance if you are experiencing those symptoms. I offer some products that can help with that, take a look if you are interested. Best of luck. -David
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.