INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Palta101

Reply with quote  #1 
I am about to purchase this lovely tanpura and keeping my fingers crossed that I will be playing it soon. Can anybody recognize the maker? The seller doesn't know anything about it. I don't see a metal plate with maker any place in the pictures. Perhaps it was a sticker that fell off? It needs a new taweez or jawari. I hope it won't be too difficult to find a good replacement.

Attached Images
png Screenshot_20180812-175748.png (1.65 MB, 12 views)
png Screenshot_20180812-175635.png (1.72 MB, 14 views)
png Screenshot_20180812-175523.png (2.24 MB, 14 views)
png Screenshot_20180812-175421.png (3.25 MB, 13 views)

Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #2 
MMM Possible Miraj made. Very nice indeed anyway.
Where are you buying it from & may we ask the price?
Nick aka trippymonkey
Palta101

Reply with quote  #3 
Hello Nick, thanks :) I am paying about $250 USD on Kijiji including the shipping but without a case from out East in Ontario. I live in Manitoba Canada. It needs a new jawari/taweez and I'm kind of taking my chances buying online used -- I am going on their word and pictures that it is not structurally damaged. I need to find a decent case as the seller says it does not have one.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #4 
OHO No case?!?!? So how's it arrive undamaged then? You're collecting it?
Where will you get the GORAJ - bridge from?
Get shots from ALL AROUND the gourd as that's where 90% of damage will occur.
Where did the seller get it from?

Best
Palta101

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks, yeah I know this sounds iffy. I havent put any money on it so I'm not sure if I should just stop here. It appears perhaps that Engish isn't their first language so not getting clear answer about the case. They said it was in a case at first. I gave detailed instructions to pack in bubble wrap, foam and then cardboard.
They did not know about the goraj because it was being sold for a family member. There is a goraj on EBay or I will ask another member of this forum if they can make me one. The location is Mississauga Ontario so lots of Indian music stores in that region just none West of them until Vancouver. You got me thinking maybe I should pull the chute before I kiss $325 away. I think I may be too trusting :/

Arielle
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #6 
Maybe you should pull back a bit & see.
Is it on a Canadian kind of EBAY?

Nick
Palta101

Reply with quote  #7 
I mailed them a list of questions. I agree with you to be concerned. Kijiji is like Craigslist in Canada. Only tanpuras I could find on EBay.ca with a real toumbas start in the 1100.00 range and are shipped from India with case. I almost bought a very nice one in Winnipeg but the person got greedy I think and never followed through with the sale. Playing Indian music let alone sarangi sucks if you live on the prairies :)
I'll wait to hear what the seller says. Thank you Nick for your thoughts on this topic.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.