INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
willow

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone
sorry to be asking yet another question but why is playing Arohana always easier than Avrohana? So far it doesn't seem to matter how much I practice, even if trying just repeated descending scales
Many thanks
W
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
What in particular makes it seem more difficult to you? There are some raags with simple arohanas and more complicated avarohanas. Can't remember the one I was looking at yesterday but the avarohana was at least twice as long!

But if you're looking at a straight, symmetrical aroha/avaroha pattern (say Bhupali...SRGPDS', S'DPGRS) and it is still more difficult, it could be that just shifting up the neck feels stranger, rather than coming down it. Also, in the ascent, using the index finger, you have the second finger there to stretch and hit the final note, where when descending (in a straight pattern) its all index finger.

Such is my limited experience so far. Like most things, practice will help, over time!
coughcapkittykat

Reply with quote  #3 
Just practice, practice, practice!
I don't remember finding either one more difficult. Just keep playing them, you'll get there in the end. Don't be tempted to try them fast, play nice and slow.

Are you using any oil on your fingertips? A little on your two fingers on the left hand could help you a lot. I wouldn't advice babyoil as I find it gets sticky but a little vegetable oil or something should work. (you only need a tiny amount by the way, and be sure to wipe the strings after you play).
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #4 
You can practice the scale by breaking it up and making more of an exercise.
In stead of just running up and down the scale, you start small and grow it.

For example: (Replace notes with the notes of the scale you are learning).

S R, S R G R, S R G M G R, S R G M P M G R, S R G M P D P M G R, S R G M P D N D P M G R, S R G M P D N S N D P M G R S.

Try playing each section four times each, the try three times each, and then try two times each, and then try one time each.
Drill this over and over and you will gain familiarity with the scale you are learning.
willow

Reply with quote  #5 
Thankyou very much for replies and advice, exercises(am sorry but my first reply was lost again, think it must be this old computer or settings?ops: ) I don't know why it's more difficult, it was the same, bit of stumbling block before at first attempt to learn. Am using oil and wiping strings after playing. All advice, knowledge experience is very much appreciated
Best wishes
W
Bhakta

Reply with quote  #6 
When I used to play sitar I had a little pill box from the drug store, put cotton in to fill it up, then added the oil (I used mineral oil). Then you can just dab your fretting fingers in there without getting too much oil on them. Just a little trick...
willow

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the tip, have found a small plastic jar today
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.