INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #1 
raja ajay

Reply with quote  #2 
Hiren Roy and Rikhi Ram are two major producer, although Ricki Ram is insanely overpriced. Naskar makes a wonderful sitar i hear, as well as Kanai Lal makes a very nice sitar and are less pricey. If you can hear it played or play it yourself, do it! Even name brands that guarantee quality can sell defective sitars, as I learned a very expensive lesson on that one. There are tons of makers, you can visit the music mall site and it will give you an idea of what a decent sitar costs (I think 800-1300 is an acceptable price). I own a Kanai Lal and I couldn’t be happier with it. My Guru ji recommended the music mall site, and you can ask them more probing questions? Are you looking to really play or just play around with it every once in awhile. If I had known better beforehand I wouldn’t have bought a student sitar and I definitely wouldn't have bought it in India. There’s a decent difference in price but if you’re thinking about seriously trying i’d get a decent professional sitar. Hope this helps! Try music mall! Also I have a a sitar from a local family trusted by my guru, and they’ve been studying sitar situation. My guru gave me a beautiful Kolkata locally made sitar and honestly it produces an unbelievable sound. If you need help or have questions i can give you my guru ji’s contact. It’s best to let a teacher or other knowledgeable person before you buy any sitar!
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #3 
I have no idea what the dark one is, but the one with the Hiren Roy badge looks more like an RKS or similar with an HR badge applied. 
The badge was clipped off at the edges, and appears to be from another sitar. 
Hiren roy badges go from edge to edge. 
I don't think they would have made a badge that didn't fit the space. 
Hire Roy sitars were made with great care. 

barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwroyds
I have no idea what the dark one is, but the one with the Hiren Roy badge looks more like an RKS or similar with an HR badge applied. 
The badge was clipped off at the edges, and appears to be from another sitar. 
Hiren roy badges go from edge to edge. 
I don't think they would have made a badge that didn't fit the space. 
Hire Roy sitars were made with great care. 

Sharp eye. It makes sense with the clipped of edges.

Nick, how come your supplier has so much sitars with fake badges to sell? I never came across that many fake ones. Makes me paranoid! ...haha
barend

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Proctor
Vijay never sells a sitar according to its name, ONLY according to what it's cost HIM.
He HAS told them but it seems, as the plates look like they've been on there many years BEFORE he got them, that it's not a recent 'crime'.

Ok thanks for explaining. I understand. If I were him I wouldn’t buy it if it was a fake badge. Or remove the badge. Since he is a reseller/salesman. Doesn’t he recognize it himself? Not judging just asking.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.