INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #1 
Another antique beauty just reappeared on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/alte-Sitar-Schnitzereien-Intarsien-117-cm_W0QQitemZ300225857208QQihZ020QQcategoryZ21591QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Somebody please buy this & resurrect it.

Nick
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
On logging in on ebay a message came up saying;

eBay's Feedback system continues to evolve as the community and marketplace dynamics change.

The eBay Feedback system was originally designed to provide a simple, honest, accurate record of the buyer's and seller's online experience to ensure safe and satisfactory trade. It was driven by the belief that through a transparent reputation system, members could hold each other accountable. Over time, we found that the transparency of the Feedback system made some buyers reluctant to hold sellers accountable. For example, buyers fear retaliatory Feedback from sellers if they leave a negative

Therefore, we've made a number of changes to eBay's Feedback system to continue to improve accuracy and accountability. These changes should help to differentiate and reward sellers who provide a positive buying experience on eBay.
In May, sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers.
Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) Process.
Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
Buyers must wait seven days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback for active No negative or neutral Feedback for buyers
The previous system prevented buyers from leaving honest Feedback since they feared retaliation from the sellers if they left a negative. This made it harder for buyers to distinguish between sellers while making bidding or buying decisions. In addition, when buyers received negative Feedback, they reduced their activity in the marketplace, which in-turn harmed sellers.

Removal of negative and neutral Feedback from suspended members
Members who are suspended for Unpaid Items or other policy violations should not be permitted to harm the reputation of members in good standing.
Limiting buyers from leaving Feedback for PowerSellers does not undermine marketplace safety, encourages communication, drives members to leave positive Feedback and will limit Feedback extortion.
The changes will enable:
Buyers to be more honest when they leave Feedback, since they will not fear retaliatory negative Feedback.
Buyers to bid more and higher, since their trust in the Feedback system and the sellers will increase.

Although there's much more than this, what do we think about not being able to put negative feedback?

Nick
povster

Reply with quote  #3 
I think sellers not being able to leave negative feedback is insanity. eBay has gone through some major shifts over the years (I have been using eBay for 11 years). This is one of the worst new things. Fearing a buyer will not leave a negative due to a retaliatory negative from the seller is ridiculous. There IS truth about fear of leaving negatives for this reason, but it is not limited to buyers. I was heavily involved in collectibles (old comic books and movie posters) and know a LOT of people who sell both on ebay. On the message boards I used to be on they were ALWAYS concerned about leaving a neg for a flaky buyer for fear of retaliaiton. So it cuts both ways.

Ebay made a subtle change a couple or more years ago on the feedback system. Then if there was a positive the feedback was preceded with the word "Praise". If a negative with "Complaint". You could just search on the words (I would open up the feedback poage to show 200 at a time if needed). Now they have a graphical + or - sign you can't search on. No reason in the world to change to that except to make it more difficult to find neg feedback.

If you don;t know, there is a tool that searches for all negative feedback on any ebay user. I know the person who made it via a message board I was on. It is at http://www.toolhaus.org/ and works great and is free and spyware free.

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
It would absolutely disastrous to not have negative feedback. If warranted of course.

I had 2 one time but one was from a tosser who sent me a tape to DVD bootleg ad-ing it as if it were a genuine original. Monterey Pop Festival with Ravi at the end.
All I got from him basically was, after saying his mum was in the audience?!?!!!?, that 'you win some, you lose some'. I didn't know about complaining to ebay at that time. He then said I badmouthed him!!!!!

Another one called me a liar after I said their LP vinyl of Uday Shankar's 'Prakriti & Ananda' had marks, dust & fingerprints on it after they'd said it was in perfect condition. I could send it back for a re-evaluation?!?!!?!?
I was quite happy with the cost but....

Nick

BTW Did you check out the sitar? Gorgeous but 'useable??!?!?!?
povster

Reply with quote  #5 
I checked out the sitar and asked the seller how much it costs to ship to the United States. I ran a translation from the web on the description and came up with this (pretty much the same translation on Yahoo and Google). Can anyone here translate to more readable English?

Yahoo's Babelfish translates it thusly:

old, very verzierte Sitar, 117 cm long, down 28 cm broad, Schnitzereien and Intarsien, it is an object for restoring, since parts are missing: e.g. Strings, sheets, string tension adjusters, when mad Deko can itself regard however immediately applicable, richly verzierter corpus with insertion work, you the Sitar gladly with me!

I checked out the untranslated words on the interent. Schnitzereien is wood from a lime tree but also means wood carving (which I assume is meant here). Intarsien is inlay. Verzierte is ornamented. Mad Deko was unclear but seems to have to do with decoration.
For the centimeter challenged it is 46 inches long by 11 inches wide. All in all a smaller instrument that seems to fit with the dimensions of instruments past. Love the key style pegs too. How it would sound is anyone's guess, naturally, but it IS an intrqiuing specimen for a collection at the very least.

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #6 
Lovely old dear! Couldn't resist right clicking this little jewel. It may be reborn in the months ahead. Hope somebody does pick this up. It would be well worth the repairs.

Reply with quote  #7 
Translation: als tolle Deko(ration) aber sofort einsatzbar reads as : (this object is due restoration, as some parts are missing) however as a great decoration it is ready for use!
This means the owner is possibly envisioning this instrument as a crucified wall-flower.
What it takes is someone with money, time, devotion, some skill to save it from an insipid non-life as DornRoschen (Sleeping Beauty)
Nagawoman

Reply with quote  #8 
Hey, thanks for that link (and again for the Mohan Lal vids), Mr Monkey.
Yes, description of this Sitar says, it is a deco piece with lots of parts missing/damaged.
I am sort of interested, as I am in Germany. Seems like this old thing needs nuts,
reworking the deco strips, new bridges, the tumba looks okay, but the neck aesthetically somewhat off.
Most work will be SHellac polish and fitting new frets .....little bit smaller than standard size.
Now I am thinking: where does one find a nice
roll of German silver fret metal (possibly in Germany, to avoid reimporting from India)?
Clueless - and after restoring, will this lute sound like a Mandolin with Tubercolosis?
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #9 
I love those funky pegs.
They are like the ones on that ancient Surbahar on the Andy's Music website.
http://www.andysmusic.com/zoom/surbahar_1.html

I wish I had the skill to fix something like this up.
Looks like it would be a very friendly sitar if you gave it some love.
povster

Reply with quote  #10 
Well, I am the high bidder now. Would love to get this and restore it. I really doubt its sound but who knows? It is a nice connect to the past.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #11 
Oooooooh, Povster ! Should you be the winner of that charmer, send it along with the veena neck. We make baby dance and sing !

Reply with quote  #12 
cwroyds

Is that actually a surbahar or just a Kachua sitar???

Nick
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #13 
Trippy,
Actually I thought it was a sitar at first.
I called it a Surbahar because it is labeled as a Surbahar on the site.
If I had to guess I would assume it is a Sitar.
I guess you would have to see it in person to get a sense of scale.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #14 
Agreed!!!
The neck's not wide enough to be a surbahar.

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.