INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
theactor10

Reply with quote  #1 
While Anoushka Shankar is widely accepted in the western world, many here aren't too crazy about her playing. Though check out this clip.. some pretty great stuff if you ask me:

chrisitar

Reply with quote  #2 
I agree that she is a good sitar player, i've never heard her play anything 'wrong' or out of tune. I've never really heard her 'fusion' or techno whatever music, just not my style but her classical music is good. This sounds like Manj Khamaj-ish.

Reply with quote  #3 
I'm not into the fusion stuff as a whole, and while I generally prefer gayaki ang, Anoushka to me is one of the best "carbon copies" of her father's style of playing. Creative and energetic...would be interesting to hear her play with a really good tabla player, in a more traditional idiom. Anyway, she strikes me as having excellent technical skills, and she seems like she took on the task of learning with a great deal of seriousness at a young age. The videos where she is playing with her father, she appears sharp and disciplined and very attentive. She could certainly run rings around me on the instrument. So I see nothing to scorn in her playing. Just not my favorite type of sitar playing in general, but I like variety.

I like this clip of hers, which admittedly is fusion:

It also demonstrates that very "notey" tantrakari ang that typifies hers and her fathers playing (imo). Fleet fingers!
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "theactor10"
While Anoushka Shankar is widely accepted in the western world, many here aren't too crazy about her playing. Though check out this clip.. some pretty great stuff if you ask me:

very nice clip! I also like her fusion stuff. Especially the Karsh Kale album. For me the only Indian fusion album besides the Shakti albums that I really like.
Although there is a lot of RS in her playing I think she has her own style and sound.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.