INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #1 
Just thought you all might like to see this charming little clip I got from a BBC sunday morning prog, 27th June, but I missed the very start of it. I must admit I was quite impressed with her as she seems to be coming out from under her father's umbrella now. Bit less of Pt-ji's influence & certainly less of that 3rd finger business.
Her own composition. See what you all think. Anyone know the guy on tanpuri???

Nick
mayer141

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice one Nick...you scrub up well for TV!

Jon.
cabernethy

Reply with quote  #3 
Here's a link to the full interview/performance for those that can view BBC material -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8766083.stm
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Great playing! I also like her playing on the Karsh Kale album. In fact that is the only (Indian) fusion album ever (that I have heard) with sitar that I like.

I am getting a bit tired of the George Harisson/Beatles questions. That was so long ago.
cabernethy

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "barend"
I am getting a bit tired of the George Harisson/Beatles questions. That was so long ago.
Agreed, very sad situation really.....

So many in the west define ICM through a substance induced blip - probably makes it easier to categorise / pigeonhole

I Mean...come on, pleeease....40 years on and counting. They do say that it takes a long time for change.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #6 
ICM had its best & biggest push so far back & hasn't seemed to have had another phenomenon like it since.
We did have a big Indian thing in the early 80s & ICM is still being presented regularly in the big cities but...

Nick
ragamala

Reply with quote  #7 
At least Andrew Marr (whom I respect in general and has an excellent pedigree as a reporter and commentator) didn't make the gaffe that a young intervieweress did a couple of years or so back and embarrass Raviji by a question implying she thought George Harrison and Yehudi Menuhin were still alive ops:

As Nick and I know, gone are our halcyon days of BBC promotion of ICM. Not a bad thing that private promotions like Womad and the Darbar festival are providing programme input. And BBC did have an excellent programme for the Proms 2009, including the superlative Manjiri Asnare Kelkar, Ram Narayan and Rajan & Sajan Mishra. But this has led inevitably to the Beeb reducing its own programming, except for a measly share, we might think, in its general World Music budget.

But it needs saying - outside these festivals and the travelogues with old-hat folk like Viram Jasani and flavour-of-the-month musicologists - BBC programming does have its limitations.

The problem, is, as I see it, not why questions about George Harrison and the Beatles always crop up in interviews, but the far bigger question of why are the interviews always with the Shankar dynasty? The bigger issue leads to the minor issue inevitably. Once you have heard 100 interviews with RS and now AS, you have indeed heard them all.

I have myself lobbied in the past, and in the politest way, for BBC Radio 3 to honour Ali Akbar Khan (didn't happen) and Ravi Shankar on the occasion of his 90th birthday (point noted), but maybe it is time for me and others to actually start lobbying the BBC to take a more modern view and broaden their coverage not in quantity necessarily, which may be a problem for them, but in broadening their perspective. Otherwise we are stuck in their blinkered vison of a Shankar playing sitar being the only thing their audience wants to hear, and hear about.

On the other hand, if this is true, let's just shut up and enjoy (or not) :wink:
mayer141

Reply with quote  #8 
Talking of BBC Radio 3, I have the complete Nikhil Banerjee/Anindo Chatterjee sessions on CD from the master tapes.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #9 
Jonathon
So what the hell are you doing with them then?!?!!?!?? :wink:

Nick
mayer141

Reply with quote  #10 
Hey Nick....take it easy dude!! :wink:

We were going to release these recordings in 2008 but came across a few 'barriers'. Those barriers are fast disappearing and so we will be hoping to release these recordings as a 2 CD set, remastered at Abbey Rd, in 2011 to coincide with NB's 80th birth year.
I'll keep you posted.

Jon
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #11 
GRR GRRR Hold Me Back!!!!
I'm sure we'll ALL be looking forward to these. 8)

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.