INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
chefothefuture

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy

Chef
AAH but can this guru 'play' a concert???

Over & out for now
Nick
I will not drop names, but I will say, yes, he most certainly can.

Back to the point- derogatory comments about either guru or shishya does not make this forum look very inviting.
This is in fact, the harshest most judgmental forum I have been on where lesser talent is concerned.

In fact, I think I want no more part of it.

Cheers
chris thill

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Is there a possible link between cats and sitars??
Of course. When you hear that a good sitar player can imitate a singing voice with its pitch variations, don't make the mistake of thinking it means a human voice...
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #18 
Chef
I understand how you feel but it's not always like this here.
We really DO appreciate ANYONE wanting to learn sitar but standards have to be kept. Not everyone can be a great teacher or even a decent one one but they must realise, as youtube is the best place, so far, to upload your efforts, it means you'll be completely open to all forms of comments. That's IF you want people to see you at your, potentially, worst!!

My comments were very tongue in cheek as many that know me here will vouch!!
Some of us are very protective of ICM & Indian culture in general, maybe more than necessary sometimes as Indian culture, in its most wonderful way, has survived the most awful onslaught from external AND internal source but it has the strength to carry on & is all the better for it.

Nick
Shaun

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chris
Of course. When you hear that a good sitar player can imitate a singing voice with its pitch variations, don't make the mistake of thinking it means a human voice...
This makes a lot of sense of my own technique - its feline dhrupad

Reply with quote  #20 
Lighten up Chef, its not that bad, maybe our caustic English humour just doesnt translate well across the Atlantic - when Nick or myself write we mentally picture our comments with the sort of deadpan tongue-in-cheek delivery they are intended to have but i can see that this may not be at all clear if you're not used to that kind of manner, and it might look a bit harsh and judgemental.

I have to disagree with your point regarding respect for gurus though, a person lacking the skills and experience to teach should not present themselves as a teacher, and if they do, taking the piss is a totally legitimate response to them.

There are far too many people out there in the world of music (esp Indian music) ready to relieve inexperienced newcomers of their money by offering services or products they are in no way qualified to provide, hence the hoards of rubbish teachers who need a few lessons themselves and all the makers of terrible instruments which can be completely unplayable.

it happens because too many people care more about making a fast profit than they do about music

Reply with quote  #21 
Yeah you are so right. I need to relax;I'll live longer(a few days anyway....).
True- there are all too many whom are ready willing and able to detach the newcomer from their
money.
I would just hope that some of the humor does not scare off those who really need our help.
Hell, I need our help... LOL!.
And a Hemen......

cheers...
Lars

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Shaun"
Lighten up Chef, its not that bad, maybe our caustic English humour just doesnt translate well across the Atlantic - when Nick or myself write we mentally picture our comments with the sort of deadpan tongue-in-cheek delivery they are intended to have but i can see that this may not be at all clear if you're not used to that kind of manner, and it might look a bit harsh and judgemental.

I have to disagree with your point regarding respect for gurus though, a person lacking the skills and experience to teach should not present themselves as a teacher, and if they do, taking the piss is a totally legitimate response to them.

There are far too many people out there in the world of music (esp Indian music) ready to relieve inexperienced newcomers of their money by offering services or products they are in no way qualified to provide, hence the hoards of rubbish teachers who need a few lessons themselves and all the makers of terrible instruments which can be completely unplayable.

it happens because too many people care more about making a fast profit than they do about music
Nice post Shaun,
Lars
Rain City Music

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.