INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
norumba

Reply with quote  #1 
had a question for repairmen, builders, sellers out there...
In addition to sarod I also play a fretless electric guitar with a metal fretboard ( brass alloy).

Am looking to get a custom instrument made that will combine qualities of both and was wondering if someone can elucidate a bit about the metal or metals used in a sarod fingerboard plate. Is it regular stainless steel? plated? My Hemen seems plated as its wearing off, but ive no idea what the metals true composition is. Cant really tell about my Dulal either. Any particular manufacturing technique for them, anything i should know?

If anyone has any measurements on how the sarod fingerboard is radiused, that may be helpful for my project as well...

many thanks to all in advance!
sarod

Reply with quote  #2 
hey, you should check out the fretless guitar Vasant Rai played!
Unfortunately there not that many luthiers who make sarods. what are you exactly looking for?
norumba

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi,
Ive seen that, and Im pretty well involved in the online fretless guitar community as well, so thats also been a big help...

what s really unknown to me are specifics on the sarod plate. What kind of metal, rolled or stamped, plated, how its shaped or machined to final fit, etc. Thats what I need to know.

Im analyzing two or three different bronze alloys for this porject , but im not sure if that will work, so Im gathering some other info...
lakshman

Reply with quote  #4 
You should try emailing AACM or, if you live in/near New York, visit Music Inn on West 4th, Jeff does a lot of sarod repair.

Edit: apparently you live NO WHERE NEAR New York so forget that suggestion.

Bruce

Reply with quote  #5 
Hemen sarode plates are made of Indian stainless steel, usually coated in chrome. The chrome often wears off with playing. You should check out Kazem Ebrahimi. He has made some electric sarodes (I have one) with plates made of some other metal. Titanium, I think, but I'm not sure.
His myspace is http://www.myspace.com/ziaebrahimi.
Bruce
http://aacm.org/shop/

arnabsarod

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bruce"
Hemen sarode plates are made of Indian stainless steel, usually coated in chrome. The chrome often wears off with playing. You should check out Kazem Ebrahimi. He has made some electric sarodes (I have one) with plates made of some other metal. Titanium, I think, but I'm not sure.
His myspace is http://www.myspace.com/ziaebrahimi.
Bruce
http://aacm.org/shop/
Bruce,

1. Hemen sarod plates are made of cast steel and coated in chrome. Polished stainless steel (the kind that Khansahib got retrofitted on his main 1934 sarod) does not need any coating for smooth sliding action. Stainless steel fingerboards are about Rs. 1000 more in the market than the standard chrome-plated cast steel ones.

2. Titanium fingerboard? Industrial grade titanium costs $250 per kg and pure grades much, much more, so its amazing that Kazem actually finds customers for his boutique sarods! Hats off to the man.

Regards,

a
norumba

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi,
thanks all, thats quite helpful... I emailed Kazem but havent heard back. Been looking at various brass and bronze alloys -- its a brass on my current fretless electric -- but the specific alloys Im interested in would have to be custom cast so thats getting expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Arnab"
1. Hemen sarod plates are made of cast steel and coated in chrome. Polished stainless steel (the kind that Khansahib got retrofitted on his main 1934 sarod) does not need any coating for smooth sliding action. Stainless steel fingerboards are about Rs. 1000 more in the market than the sabtandard chrome-plated cast steel ones.
Arnab,
is Dulal using the polished stainless rather than the plated? Im also interested if one can get just the plate, and if so, from where. That may not be the right way to go,as this will be more of a guitar than a saord, but elements of both. Ill have to talk with the builder more.

thanks!
Surinder

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi, I'm Surinder and I am hoping that this forum can help me out with a construction question.
The skin of the Sarod where the bridge rests on, is broken and I ask if any memeber of the forum can give me details on how I to attach another one to it. I plan to replace the skin with a thin fine kangaroo one ( you can tell by how I am from Australia) but do not know how to attach it.
Any kind of help in detail, preferably in a dummy's guide format would be greately appriciated.

The more tought the skin the better the sound quality? What should the tensile strength of the skin be?
Thank You
Surinder
Tomek

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Surinder,
There used to be a page with detailed instructions on the process of changing the skin, by Brian Godden I believe, but I couldn't find it anymore. Perhaps someone has saved it?
All I know about the actual skin is that it has to be much thinner than the tabla skin - you're probably best of buying the skin from one of the instrument dealers.
Tomek
ps: Next time you should start a new topic!
kalyan

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi Surinder, the instructions that my dad( Brian Godden) used to have up on silverbush might still be available at theperfectthird.com if not you should contact him he lives in Australia now and I know he has some good skins and could help you replace yours. Pm me if you need his contact info

-Kalyan

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic
Jeff Whittier

Reply with quote  #11 
Back in the day, Wayne Moscow had sarod fingerboards re-chromed by the the body-shop guys who did it for chrome car bumpers. He was happy with the result. Vintage hot-rod types have kept the skill alive.
norumba

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi everyone,
thanks for the responses... all very helpful information. I may be in NY in September, so i might pop in to Music Inn, see what needs to be done at that point. Both sarods could use some replating so, chroming resources are good tips too.

the projected guitar project is at a point where one of the necks will definitley be electric sarod, so Im going to need a plate.I'll need a separate plate. I joined up with Kazem Ebrahimi on his myspace page, sent him two emails from there, but havent gotten a response.

ill keep digging
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.