INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
coyootie

Reply with quote  #1 
just saw the Z.Hussain percussion extravaganza.there were some great moments but as is usually the case with percussionistas, it got to be too much on and went on a good 1/2 hr longer than needed....... at least you got your $ worth.for some reason all the younger ICM musicians seem to think they hafta do fusion stuff and I'll just stick to classical. just like the anoushka concert I saw a while back, there has to be some synthesized low rumbling drone stuff that sounds like it would be a good score for a Zena or Conan type barbarian adventure flick.
and why do Indian musicians go for gimmick instead of gamak..........william tell overture, some other extremely dusty melodic snippets like Norwegian Wood, that we all remember from TV commercials for breakfast cereals etc......... no thanks.
Niladri Kumar played some sitar, I never heard one like this, such a closed jawari it sounded like a Hawaiian guitar trying to be a sitar, no perceptible resonance from tarafs or chikaris- I guess it was just his style but it sure left me scratching my head. Dilshad Khan played some killer sarangi though.There was a venerable old Rajasthani grandpa who played nagara,very upcountry guy, who also kicked ass. No South Indian percussionists in this presentation,but there was a Manipuri 3 man group that was pretty far out with their wild acrobatic moves and sometimes trance-inducing drumming. Also a fantastic virtuoso Uzbek Doyra master who got incredible sounds and rhythms out of his heavy frame drum.
Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
Well, unfortunately they're not coming to Seattle this time (can't blame them, it's Bhoopali city)...
Niladri is really a good player but his fusion stuff is quite popular, that sitar may be one he uses for both things...just a guess....
Audiences like gimmicks Alan....

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the post. I saw the show in Chicago and enjoyed the first set quite a bit. The second set was highlighted by the solo vocal composition that was performed by Zakir's brother(?) but the rest of the set was very much about trading solos. Although I appreciate displays of precise technique, it is the longer compositions, spontaneous or otherwise, that are most interesting to me.

With this said, I admire Zakir's sense of adventure in bringing this group together and still enjoyed the show. It was my first time to see Zakir on stage after listening to his recordings for many years. I also enjoyed his sense of humor.

As a fellow musician, I'm glad that he's having a successful tour. Tickets sold out in Chicago.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.