INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Jason

Reply with quote  #1 
This appears to be another fraudulent ebay listing. The color looks too light and the pen work color doesn't look right either. The carving looks sloppy as well. Notice the sitar in the bottom pic is different than the other pics -- that one may be a Hiren but all the other pics are of a different sitar!

http://cgi.ebay.com/HIREN-ROY-SITAR-TANPURA-TABLA-DHOLAK-HARMONIUM-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ120197210358QQihZ002QQcategoryZ623QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I sent a complaint to ebay and to the lister.
Jason

Reply with quote  #2 
Now the pic of the second sitar has been removed.

Here is the response I got from the seller:

"Dear Customer
The colour difference that you see in the pictures is due to the photography and we are working to get some really good close up sanps of the hiren roy sitars.You shall be receiving a original hiren roy sitar for 100% sure or else your money refunded.Just last week we have sold one hiren roy sitar to our customer in Australia and she is very much satisfied
Regards
Ashish"

I've seen eyes turn red in photos, but this is the first time I've seen sitar pen work turn red.
povster

Reply with quote  #3 
How interesting they seem to have removed the last photo in the case of a real Hiren. Nice catch, Jason!!!
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
I sent these people a stinging letter last week about cost & how their postage costs more than the instrument's worth. I didn't bother to read their reply.

It might well be a Hiren Roy 'reject' so technically H R.

Nick
Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
Hey Nick, $200 US to ship a sitar is half what it costs by DHL to the states anyway. It's shipped by speedpost/regular mail I'm sure which is not the best way to ship, I believe you've had experience with that if I remember?

I'm surprised this thread is still up as the mentioned 'dealer' is an advertiser here.... it's nice to see the return of free speech and Keshav!

Lars

Reply with quote  #6 
The ad's been altered & I noticed a more reasonable post price when I last looked.

My problem was the way in which my sitars had been flung on the back of UK's Parcelforce's van. There may well have been no trouble with Delhi Speedpost.

Nick
Jason

Reply with quote  #7 
So I clicked on the ad to the left of this column to check out this seller's store. I discovered a second "Hiren Roy" "masterpiece" for sale -- again with two different sitars in the photo!

http://cgi.ebay.com/HIREN-ROY-SITAR-TANPURA-TABLA-DHOLAK-HARMONIUM-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ120197883746QQihZ002QQcategoryZ623QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

:roll:

Just so there is no confusion, I feel that the advertisers I have dealt with on this site such as AACM and Sitars, Etc. have been outstanding. However, I would never deal with the advertiser who listed these so-called Hiren Roys!
Lars

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
The ad's been altered & I noticed a more reasonable post price when I last looked.

My problem was the way in which my sitars had been flung on the back of UK's Parcelforce's van. There may well have been no trouble with Delhi Speedpost.

Nick
Maybe so Nick, but Speedpost usually opens each package to inspect them before they leave India. In Kolkata you have to show up around 1am with packing materials after it's inspected so all goes well from there....just my experience. I've never had anything go to the UK break, France and Spain however is another story...

Lars

Reply with quote  #9 
Lars
Yes Quite true, I believe, about opening stuff before it leaves India. Two locks on one of my fibreglass boxes were wrenched open. Both sitars sent in these boxes were fine. It was 2 of the 3 in the hard card ones that got fractured gourds.

Didn't need to go to Delhi or anything to 're-pack' my stuff, though.
Anything I may get in Kolkatta will come back to Varanasi & will more likely come on the plane if it's a special sitar.

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.