INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #16 
This thing is so beautiful it hurts. All I can say is, if you enjoyed making this one, by all means, keep making more of them! I'm a sitar/surbahar man at heart, but this thing is beautiful, and I can only hope it sounds even a fraction as good as it looks. Good on yer mate!
cabaray

Reply with quote  #17 
westsea I did make the fine tuner. I tell you what I plan on making a few more for myself so I'll see if I can streamline the process. As with anything it takes time to make a one off, maybe I can figure a way to make some batches that are simpler and more efficient to make.
cabaray

Reply with quote  #18 
nicheufeld thanks for the compliment. I have a friend who's an artist and he reads what the critics have too say about his work to help him define what he's doing. When I read all of these wonderful compliments and accolades I look at my veena and say you know it really is a beautiful instrument. After working on it for such a long time I'm certainly not indifferent but now I'm beginning to appreciate it on a new level.
povster

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "westsea"
Did you make the fine tuner for the laraj?
It's just like what Thomas Marcotty used on his beens.
I've been looking for those, for years. Povster was looking too.
If you made them, any chance of talking you into making some more?

Gary
The in-progress photos are great. Wonderful to see the core vs the finished instrument.

As far as the fine tuners, I have found the design in your images but the design I have been looking for is on my teacher's Murari:

Attached Images
jpeg tuner.jpg (22.45 KB, 1 views)

theprosperone

Reply with quote  #20 
Absolutely stunning Ray!!! I knew it would be an outstanding instrument when you let me see it in development but this is beyond anything I could have imagined! I hope to get the chance to hear it one day, thank you so much for sharing all your hard work!
westsea

Reply with quote  #21 
Ray's magnificent creation has led to a website update.
There is now a link here
http://rudraveena.org/Veenas.html
to Special Edition.

The Special Edition page features the Beens made by Chris Doddridge, Joel oliv
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #22 
Nice job Gary

Great to see you have included Ray on your EXCELLENT Veena site. Besides being a master woodworker Ray is one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. He has a wonderful witty and dry sence of humor, and is a gas to hang out with. His woodworking skills are top shelf as evidenced by this beautiful instrument.
Kharmically he should just be in the groove for his explorations into the music and traditions of his instrument.
I had communicated to Ray that with all the legends - mysticism - & myths - of mojo both good and bad revolving around the Rudra Veena, that his commitment, dedication, and attitude in building this instrument definately qualifies Ray. We all wish him the very best in his continuing journey with his magnificent creation.

Brian

Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Hamletsghost"
I had communicated to Ray that with all the legends - mysticism - & myths - of mojo both good and bad revolving around the Rudra Veena, that his commitment, dedication, and attitude in building this instrument definately qualifies Ray. We all wish him the very best in his continuing journey with his magnificent creation.

Brian
I think Ray has lathed, chiseled, carved and sanded any bad mojo out of that instrument. I look at it often and marvel at the work!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.