INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
This is another peshkar from Jerry Leake's book (TABLA PERSPECTIVES) but an even easier one to play than the last one I posted and as such also very instructive as to how variations through *substitution* of phrases (as opposed to permutation of phrases as in kaida). The first two variations are not uninteresting but it is the next 6 variations that are both more involved in their phrase substitution and also more musically interesting than the first two.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1700/peshkar1a.jpg
By pbercker at 2012-09-07

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7823/peshkar1b.jpg

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/6800/peshkar1c.jpg

What would be even more instructive is if some of our more able members would take a gander at playing this and posting a private video to share just with this forum!!

Any takers?

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #2 
Wow long peshkar - but seems that way coz all the variations are written out - seems simple enough but also keen to see how the more able members can play this

The tihai in this one sort of matches what I suggested in your other peshkar thread - jerry leake.
Guess I wasn't too far of the mark reeshkar tihai

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #3 
Also is the bol "tet" - the same as "ti" or similar?

or is "tet" a half of "Tete"?
???????

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
Luistabla

Reply with quote  #4 
as soon as learn this i will shoot a quick video, it doesn
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #5 
pbercker

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaBeatz"
Wow long peshkar - but seems that way coz all the variations are written out - seems simple enough but also keen to see how the more able members can play this

The tihai in this one sort of matches what I suggested in your other peshkar thread - jerry leake.
Guess I wasn't too far of the mark reeshkar tihai
That's what I noticed as well, that your suggested tihai was quite a plausible one!

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #7 
Luistabla

Reply with quote  #8 
pbercker

Reply with quote  #9 
At the risk of embarassing my self, here is my version of this peshkar. I welcome, and indeed desire, your constructive criticism since it is the ultimate point of this exercise.

But keep in mind a few things:

1) I am essentially a beginner (as the video should make plainly clear). It's been well over 5 years since I last played, and started practicing just 4 months ago, and in seriously practicing only 2 month ago.
2) This utube video link is for this forum ONLY ... do not share with others outside this forum.
3) It doesn't matter whether you are a seasoned tabla veteran or just a beginner, constructive comments/criticisms/suggestions are welcome from all.
4) I've only recently begun to learn this peshkar, and it's by no means memorized yet, not even a little bit. I have no doubt that a memorized peshkarwould flow more smoothly otherwise.
5) technical advice is also welcome... is the sound quality ok ... is the lighting ok ... is the angle ok ...etc..
6) If nothing, doesn't that brand new Mukta Das tabla head sound beautiful!!

Pascal

TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #10 
I think that's really good Pascal - Kudos to you mate!

Firstly - your dayan does sound really sweet!
I think you've got good enough technique and skills to be able to make some really nice music on the tabla -

All we need is practice and compositions -

Its amazing how tabla hits us at different periods in our lives. I too had a long hiatus away from tabla - but am now back with more passion and drive then I ever had.

I don't know what your teacher situation is at the moment - I moved towns many years back and haven't had a teacher for a long while and haven't sought out one yet either -

But I think if you know the basics - know the techniques - and can play the bols and read the compositions - you can really learn a lot

My teacher said the key to learning is to LISTEN to a lot of music - I think today with youtube and all we can pick up quite a lot - and also sharing on this forum -

What are your thoughts on all of this ?

pbercker

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaBeatz"

My teacher said the key to learning is to LISTEN to a lot of music - I think today with youtube and all we can pick up quite a lot - and also sharing on this forum -

What are your thoughts on all of this ?
I absolutely agree that this is the case. My professional training is in philosophy and as a graduate student I quickly discovered that the key to good writing is to READ a lot of good writing in philosophy. This was also my first advice to the undergraduate students that I used to teach - there is no magical shortcut to good writing except to hunker down and do a lot of good reading. I see no reason why it should be any different with music.

Pascal

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.