INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sason

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,
I would like to try to use an amplifier with my sitar. Could someone tell me which kind of amplifier is good for sitars? please be specific.
thanks
Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
I use a Marshall AS50D acoustic, they're fantastic. Use a good pickup though, not the cheap dual head transducers made for 'sitar'....try the PUTW or an AKG C411 with a good preamp.

Reply with quote  #3 
I agree with Lars, that Marshall amp is great. Laney makes a simlar model, the A1, that is just as good.

I usually use an Epiphone Valve Jr., .. I love the clarity and warm, rounded tones. But, I play through mixer and have a very particular setup.. it's not for everyone. So a much much safer bet would be the Marshall.. you can't go wrong with it.

Yes, if you're playing through a pickup, you need a good acoustic preamp like the LR Baggs Paracoustic DI, otherwise you're going to get a very flat, tinny sound. I always prefer playing through a mic if it's practical.

- Rex
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #4 
Fender currently has a killer line of 3 acoustic guitar amplifiers starting with a 30 watt all the way to a dual 80-watt combo. The dual has an 8” bass speaker ,two tweeters, and side-radiating 6” speaker that is coupled with Stereo Field Expansion technology for whole-room stereo imagery. You can also run a lo impedance mic with it (for blended micing and direct pickup sound or micing of top toomba dynamics both of which I am a great proponent of) and it has onboard reverb & delay. The top end amp is a little pricey but there are deals out there. If your looking for one of the greatest sounds out there rent one & give it a test drive. You will not be dissappointed. Heck try all three & see what suits your needs.
Good luck
Hamletsghost 8)

ps: I cannot give stonger support for Lars & Rex - your amp will only sound as good as the pickup-preamp or mic you use. LR Baggs - Fishman - MacIntyre are tops

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you for the information. I am very happy that found this forum.
I searched the internet and I found out what is the pickup you are talking about. But can you tell what is a preamp? Does the amplifier not have a built-in preamp?
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #6 
Simply speaking a preamp is a seperate unit used to amplify the low-level signal of a pickup & boost it to line-level for the input of the amp. These can be quite simple units but most today are getting quite sofisticated & allow you to microtune & shape the color of the pickup before the signal is sent to the amplification system.

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #7 
I recently read an very favoring review of a Schertler-amp in a German magazine; It's focus is acoustic intsruments and had 3 different channels for different mikes and pickups.

http://www.schertler.com/prodotti_ing/loudspeakers/unico.htm

Remco
mizrable

Reply with quote  #8 
I've messed around with the Roland, Fishman, and Marshall amps and found that that Acoustic Image Corus blows them away. Its the most purest sounding amp Ive found aside from those really expensive Bose PA's. Its dual channel ( perfect for sitar and tabla) with 2 XLR/ line ins, and 400W without the extension speaker and 600W using an extension with it feeding 300W to the extension speaker and 300W to the internal speakers. There are aux returns and sends for each channel with separate level controls just in case you are using a tamboura / tabla machine. Its really small and relatively light, David size with Golaith sound. The amp is played at 20 degree angle against the floor and sub is pointed at the ground while the mid/treble speakers point outward, you definitely dont sound like your using an acoustic guitar amp its not as twangy, this amp was originally designed for upright bass players and cellists and if you really want an accurate representation of your instrument, especially kharaj pancham, try one out.
festus

Reply with quote  #9 
I use the Bose L1 with 1 sub... i use it for everything... fills up a 500 seat room... better than systems 3 times the money and breaks down where nothing weighs more than 35 lbs.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.