aldog6

Reply with quote  #1 
Check this amazing tabla and sitar piece:

pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "aldog6"
Check this amazing tabla and sitar piece:

It is indeed an excellent piece... and while video description notes are frequently overlooked, they should not be, in this case. Indeed I can't help but quote the somewhat overheated not to say melodramatic but nevertheless interesting rhetoric
Quote:
A veritable gem..with virtuoso tabla of Chatur Lal recorded in 1963 when Shankar had fire in his belly ..was in his early prime....the majestic start ...the meandering melody thus reconditions the soul inculcating in it a certain sense of levitation.. imbued with divinity..a kind of mantra..a dialogue with God...elevates you to Nirvana ..leads you to Valhalla and firmly deposits you there ... sempiternally...tabla solo in the middle ( 5:51 to 8:44) by Chatur Lal is simply mesmerizing! And 8:44 to 10-45 is probably one of the best and perfect sitar/tabla rapport ( jugalbandi) of all time! Don't miss 5:22 to 6:35 sitar engages in a dialogue with tabla then fades gracefully to make way for tabla solo....if ever there was a magical music tour this is it...this is it...and this is it...Ravi Shankar and Chatur Lal here transport you to a world where music is redefined...and reinvented...... coruscating with a thousand nuances of vibrating colour...transforming the banal into a source of wonder.... and wonderment...
I actually like such rhetorical flourishes, but I cannot help but note that ultimately "Nirvana" and "Valhalla" are really opposites of each other, as nirvana is a Buddhist notion about the complete liberation of all mental and physical desires, while Valhalla, in Norse mythology, is a great hall where fallen heroes go to drink and feast with the Norse God Odin, indulging all their
physical desires!

On a more serious note, it's worth remarking that Chatur Lal is apparently the very first tabla player to tour in the west (in 1955 with Ali Akbar Khan, Alla Rakka first toured the west in 1956) but sadly died of cancer at the age of 40 in 1965. It's also worth remarking that Ravi Shankar was instrumental in giving tabla its prominence in the west. I noticed that in this short performance Ravi Shankar not only makes room for the tabla solo, but actually stops playing altogether, not even accompanying with what might have been, to a western audience a distracting lehara which, in 1963, might not have been understood as being simply accompaniment to the tabla solo.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.