INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Kirya

Reply with quote  #1 
This is an amazing performance of Raag Shahana by Shahid Pervez though only 8 minutes.

The alap is especially amazing - he is just in the zone from the first note and his phrasing is wonderful. Also some serious shredder taans but I think that it would be even better if he had had more time to build up the momentum.

The tone and the clarity of the sitar sound are also particularly striking in this recording with the resonant meends.

Shahana sounds a bit like Darbari lite -- do others have more background on this Raag -- I am quite intrigued after hearing and seeing this.

chrisitar

Reply with quote  #2 
I agree that the whole series of USP short performances on youtube are excellent. Shahana uses the same swaras as bhimpalasi. If I recall correctly, U Vilayat Khan and U Shujaat Khan performed an expansive jugalbandhi with Shujaatji on Surbahar (phenomenal btw) at Carnegie Hall.

Reply with quote  #3 
I hear a lot of Komal Dha in this which is not in Bhimpalasi - though the rest seem to be similar.

It sounds like Darabari in the purvang (lower half) but something else in the utterang. Maybe a mix of Darbari and Bhimpalasi

nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #4 
Where exactly do you hear the komal dha? I wasn't listening for it, and didn't hear it, but I recall hearing a very distinct shuddh Dha...figured prominently in the gat. Nice playing, but that goes as comic understatement with USP!

Edit: I do note some definite darbari flavors though...the way he flirts around Ga, bending down to it, and hits Re strongly. Is it in the Kanada family?
Kirya

Reply with quote  #5 
I thought I saw him put his finger several times on the komal Dha during the alap but I may be wrong. Since it sounds so much like Darbari initially, I just assumed it was a komal D even though it's presence is very light (varjit) and his top fret is set to shuddha Dha.

I have seen 2 other versions of USP playing this same raag and this is by far the best version in my opinion. His hand can do no wrong and he is just "in the zone", making sliding 8 note meends at about 2:48 that sound really crystal clear.

Kirya

Reply with quote  #6 
This reference suggests it is a Kafi Thaat raga that uses two Nishats but only the regular Dha

http://www.itcsra.org/sra_raga/sra_raga_that/sra_raga_that_links/raga.asp?raga_id=77

And another description

http://www.indiapicks.com/SNT_Hindi/P-329.htm

dhruvsodha

Reply with quote  #7 
One of the best Shahana Kanadas I have ever heard is by Shujaat Khan:
http://musicindiaonline.co/#/album/23-Classical_Hindustani_Instrumental/25478-Shahana_Kanada/
Not sure why he chooses to tune to C in this specific Raag. But I love it.
Kirya

Reply with quote  #8 
There is another video where Shujaat Khan provides some more background on Shahana which is from the Kannada family.

He gives several examples of how Dha is used bu singing out pakad and chalan phrases. I still hear a very light komal Dha

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.