INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
theteacher

Reply with quote  #1 
Ok. . .
So I've always wondered this but I was afraid to ask. . .
In Bagashree, Ragashree and such, it sounds like the Sa is flipped with the Ma. Like the drone is not c# but instead f#. The Da is now the Ga . . is this making any sense.

However, in the Shahid Parvez recording of Ragashree I think it, it sounds like the drone is "normal" like c# or d but the strong relationship with the Da and Ma make it sound as if it is droning in the other drone like f# or g.

I know there is some simple answer to this and I couldn't find it on the forum so maybe someone could just quickly clear this up for me so I don't have to wake up at night worrying about it.

That being said, do you tune the sitar different (in my case from MSGPSS to MSMMSS - ghandar pancham- )

Thanks for any clarification and I hope someone knows what I'm talking about if my explanation is not clear. Take care - Randy
neela sangeeta

Reply with quote  #2 
When playing these ragas chickari strings and tanpura are generally tuned to Sa and Ma as opposed to Sa and Pa. So you are correct, it does sound like Ma becomes Sa to our fifth centric ears, though this is not technically correct.

Yes MSMMSS

Some people may also add Dha to the chickaris so that you have Sa, Ma and Dha. MSMDSS
I have hear that Shahid may sometimes actually tune to MSMPSS for Bageshree.

Someone else may be able to clarify more...

Neel
John

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "neela
Shahid may sometimes actually tune to MSMPSS for Bageshree.
I have a recording of Bhimpalasi by USP featuring the same. It's interesting how the chikari tuning can effect the mood of the raag.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.