INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
npandit

Reply with quote  #1 
I currently play an Akbar Miyan tabla set that I acquired from my friend who is a professional tabla player in the lineage of Shaik Dawood (Hyderabad). I know there are a few Akbar Miyan tabla makers floating around Hyderabad, but this one is the real deal.

I am just curious if anyone knows if the dayan shell is Bombay style or Calcutta style? I know that Calcutta style shells are not cleaned out inside, and left rough, and this partially accounts for a tonal difference. Bombay shells are completely cleaned out.

I replaced the skin on the dayan with a skin I got from a tabla maker in Ahmedabad. It is a very tough skin with very thick syahi. Took a while before the sound really started to ring, but now it is sounding nice. In any case, my bayan needs to be re-headed (still has original Akbar Miyan pudi), and the dayan I would like to place either a Bombay skin (likely Haridas Vhatkar) or a Calcutta skin, depending on what type of shell it is.

I'm sure on a certain level it wouldn't matter, and either type of head could go on the shell. But I'm particularly curious if anyone has re-headed an Akbar Miyan tabla before and seen what kind of shells they use? I know their skins tend to be in between Calcutta and Bombay.
el presidente

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi,

I have one Akbar Miya dayan, but haven't opened it yet. But the shells I have seen in their workshops are more towards Bombay than Calcutta style. Inside of the shell is carved with lathe so the walls and bottom of resonance area is quite smooth. But as you said, they use medium thin skin for pudis.

In my humble opinion, the wood they use in most of their shells is very dense and heavy, so I would go with thicker pudi. I have one other Hyderabad made dayan shell that never worked well with thin Mukta Das pudi, but now sounds great with thick Varanasi pudi. I see it a way that thin pudi is too weak to make heavy and sturdy shell to resonate.

Also another thing I nowadays consider, is the pitch of the SHELL. When I have opened a dayan for reheading, I knock the "naked" shell, to hear in what pitch it resonates. I check it with electric tuner. Then I try to get my hands on a pudi that is made at least near to the same pitch. This way I try to help the pudi and the shell to resonate together as well as possible.

But this is just me. I hope this helps.
-M
va4leo

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "el
Also another thing I nowadays consider, is the pitch of the SHELL. When I have opened a dayan for reheading, I knock the "naked" shell, to hear in what pitch it resonates. I check it with electric tuner. Then I try to get my hands on a pudi that is made at least near to the same pitch. This way I try to help the pudi and the shell to resonate together as well as possible.
This is indeed very interesting! I shall try it with my next re-head!

Reply with quote  #4 
Yes, interesting it is!

I haven't seen or heard any tabla players thinking about it. I started to do this when I noticed that my 5" shell made this knocking sound exactly in D#, and 5,5 shell around C-C#. My guess is it can't be just coincidence, but professionalism of the shell maker. I guess of course the size of the shell, but also the depth of the resonance area determines the pitch of the shell.

Yes, I AM very interested about tabla making
-M
pbercker

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "el
Yes, interesting it is!

I haven't seen or heard any tabla players thinking about it. I started to do this when I noticed that my 5" shell made this knocking sound exactly in D#, and 5,5 shell around C-C#.
-M
... very interesting?? ... I would say very perturbing!! ... distressing even! ... maybe what's going on is this ...

- knock ... knock...
- who's there?

- I'm trapped inside your damned tabla shell that you reheaded ... get me the hell outta here!!

(I just got up, so I haven't yet noticed how lame this joke really is! But maybe I should say ... hey, don't knock it! ... ok, I'll stop now ...)

PB

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
el presidente

Reply with quote  #6 
pbecker: :-D
Maybe you didn't notice, but I AM the one who makes that knocking sound. So obviously I am trapped in my tabla! But that's not news ;-)

-M
pbercker

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "el
pbecker: :-D
Maybe you didn't notice, but I AM the one who makes that knocking sound. So obviously I am trapped in my tabla! But that's not news ;-)

-M
I figured that's what you probably meant, but as written it gives the appearance that right at D# (some call it Eb!) you hear this strange knocking sound coming from your tabla!

PB

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
el presidente

Reply with quote  #8 
What? Oh yes. Now I got it!! You are right! ...Haa haa, very funny.

I was in a hurry when writing it, and because English isn't my native language, I sometimes stumble with it.

-M
el presidente

Reply with quote  #9 
...and I don't even know if you can say that "...stumble with language."?!
pbercker

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "el
...and I don't even know if you can say that "...stumble with language."?!
In my stumble opinion, I think anyone can!

PB

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.