INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #16 
Hey sitarman, this also explains why one sounds better after downing a couple of drinks.

do you really sound better, or do you just think you do :-)

jf

Anonymous

Reply with quote  #17 
"The closeness of the label date and dendrochronological date of some Guarnieri instruments suggests that wood maturation was sometimes considerably shortened, probably by stewing, which greatly accelerates hemicellulose degradation."

The "stewing" of wood is common in the violin biz. I have a great friend here in New York (actually he just moved to France") who is a top violin maker. When I first met him he was struggling down the street with a spagetti pot big enough for three sopranos (or five castrati). Told me it was for boiling the wood before aging it. Who knew?
Cheers,
Keshav
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #18 
"AbdulLatif, you have killed the thread by providing all that could be there to the subject Brilliant stuff! Thx"

To really beat this thread to death I'll post the data on submerged salvage timber!!!!

Basically its all the stuff the other article said except the process takes place underwater The hemicellulose degradation still takes place removing the water on a cellular level while at the same time the cells are being filled with minerals from the external water source. This gives the submerged timber a microscopically different structure akin to the fossilization process that occurs in petrified wood.

Maybe inexpensive export sitars could serve as breakwaters or flotation devices in the hope of producing a playable instrument in a couple of centuries. Mr. Sharma!! Mr. Rosul!! are you listening???

Reply with quote  #19 
I guess I should invite you all out to Tucson. Stuff dries out here REALLY FAST. You can find more info on StoreYourNewSitarAtSitarman'sHouseForA_SmallFee.com
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sitarman"
I guess I should invite you all out to Tucson. Stuff dries out here REALLY FAST. You can find more info on StoreYourNewSitarAtSitarman'sHouseForA_SmallFee.com
Uhhh Baba, What you gonna do with a bunch of sundried RIGHT HANDED sitars?? Our is this a BrokeBack Mountain ambidexterous side you've never shown?? ops: Not that theres anything wrong with that.......I applaud your courage. :wink:

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
do you really sound better, or do you just think you do
Thanks for bursting my bubble. drinks or no drinks, I have a long way to go Naad Dasji; the age of the wood isn't helping either ops:
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.