INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #1 
Dear sarangi lovers

You are all aware of some sarangi players getiing converted to vocalists. Now come out with the names of people who switched to other instrument from sarangi playing. I know three names. Feel free to write your answer here along with the instrument adopted, do not care for repetition by other members. Knowledge is never ending process. I may also come to know some more names through this. My answer after one week.
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #2 
Have not heard of any that switched to another instrument so this just a wild guess.

Chatur Lal's brother is a famous Sarangi nawaz, so perhaps Chatur Lal also played the instrument before switching to tabla?

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Jaan saab for your interest. In fact nobody from that family played sarangi before Pt. RN. Yes his father played dilruba & percussion instruments.
privatelabel

Reply with quote  #4 
edited -*oops sorry answered the question without reading it correctly*
David Berner

Reply with quote  #5 
So far I can only think of Brij Narayan, he learned sarod at age 7, but also learned sarangi then decided to stick with sarod because he likes it's combination of percussive & melodic qualities. For me it's really hard to come up with anyone else. I suppose once one gets addicted to sarangi it's hard to stop and move on to something less potent (nothing against any other instruments). Indeed a hard question. Thanks for the quiz Dr. Kashyap.
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks David for the reply, but I am afraid this is not the answer. They should be established sarangi players at some stage of their life.
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #7 
One was Patiala gharana musician U. Abdul Aziz khan, who played beautiful sarangi with female singer Chhamiya. On getting humiliated by getting too less reward, he broke sarangi & picked up veena, took out all the frets & created new instrument vichitra veena or Batta bin. It was played with big oblong glass or stone (called batta) sliding over the strings. He earned much respect as binkaar too.After partition on India, he shifted to pakistan. His younger brother U. Habibali earned good name as binkar

Another person was U. Ahmed raza, a disciple of U. abdul aziz khan who also took to batta bin. His sarangi can be heard in older tracks with U. ahmedjan thirakwa. He has one or two albums of batta bin to his credit.

Third person though occasionally but definitely played saraswati veena, i.e. U. abdul karim khan (KIrana gharana vocal stalwart). His veena tracks were published commercially too. He was into sarangi playing in his early career.

This is to my knowledge & I will be happy if somebody can add to this list.
spoutmouth

Reply with quote  #8 
Hope it is not too late to contribute....

Amir Khan

Bade Ghulam Ali Khan

"....gave up sarangi and took up singing..."

Pt. Ram Narayan in conversation with Regula Burckhardt Qureshi (1988)

M
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #9 
.. but this was asked in reference to the Sarangi players taking up another instrument.
spoutmouth

Reply with quote  #10 
LOL ops:

Always read the question....always read the question....always read the question....

Now where is that big edit/delete button...???

M :roll:
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.