INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
tieba510

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello All,

**************** deleted at request of poster **************************
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi, adam. Looking over the pics of this sitar, items I like are the dark rosewood taraf pegs, fat frets and no taraf pegs after fret 17 (high SA). The large mother of toilet seat pick guard should keep stray mizrab hits off the wood. Brass tailpiece looks better than usual. Overall, it looks good. The shops in Miraj get first pick of the litter when it comes to gourds as the best in India are grown in that region. Main pegs could be a little better. These are ok but I've seen better. The wood bridges have always bugged me but that's just a personal itch. Others swear by them. Your call on that issue. Ustad Shahid Parvez has single handedly popularized these black sitars. That paint can very easily hide all kinds of nastiness so if you can, study the surface and see if light refelections show anything that looks a little "off". The listed price of Rs. 25,000 seems kinda steep, especially without a case. If this sitar reaches out to you with open arms as they often do, jump on it. If it were me, I'd shop a bit more. Kolkata has dozens of shops loaded with goodies ! Happy shopping ! ! !

Reply with quote  #3 
Adam

It looks nice and worth buying. It looks like a pretty standard body and so it really comes down to the tabli and the sound (and how you think/hope it might develop). Are there any particularly bad dud notes on the sitar? I assume that it is his least favourite sitar - why?

You should go and see Barun asap given the short timeframe that you have.

Take a trip to Uluberia if you can manage it - PM me if you want a contact out there - it's worth it just to see the workshop.

The only places that you need spend more than Rs25,000 are outside India and in Delhi. Spend your spare rupees on extra bridges of different materials, strings, mizrabs etc etc... I recommend Ashoke Sadar for those things and either of their shops mostly have decent sitars on the shelf.

And... if you happen by the GPO could you please drop in and get a quote for sending a sitar in case - query 10kg actual weight or volumetric weight 30+kg

cheers
Simon
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #4 
Adam~

It's just my gut feeling, but if it were me, I'd shop around somemore. As Tony says, unless it zings you, you know?

And I think gillo has given some good advice as well.

".....The large mother of toilet seat pick guard...." , Tony, you're a regular riot!! Of course I will have this stuck in my mind.....like forever .....now!!

Reply with quote  #5 
So... what happened? is it still available?
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #6 
Why has the initial post been removed by poster?!?!!??!

N
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.