INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Bovindra

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi there!
Another question:
I'm trying to refret an old sitar and I wonder if the frets have differents curvatures and if so, do they have to go in a certain position?
Because I untied, polished them all and don't know if I have to place them in their original position (that I don't remenber), or this doesn't really matter?
element-82

Reply with quote  #2 
I prefer to do it one at a time. They are different. The hightest notes have more of an arch to the fret than the lowest notes. You should be able to firgure it out by lining them up. You will know for sure if they are wrong. Maybe someone like Tony will have a better view.

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bovindra"
Hi there!
Another question:
I'm trying to refret an old sitar and I wonder if the frets have differents curvatures and if so, do they have to go in a certain position?
Because I untied, polished them all and don't know if I have to place them in their original position (that I don't remenber), or this doesn't really matter?

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #3 
Yikes ! A pile of frets ! They MUST be in the original order and with the high side of the bend along the peg side of the neck. Here's what I'd do (after the act) - get a load of rubber bands and connect each fret with a rubber band. Eyeball down the neck from the bridge. See if the frets form a smooth "wall" along the entire length. Look for high or low frets. Swap them around accordingly until they all form a smooth "wall". Musical frets - a fun game. It will keep you amused for a long time. It must be done. When it looks like you got them right, hook up the first string and give the frets a test run. If the bend on the frets is more or less centered, you may have to flip the ends around to determine which end of the fret goes to which side of the neck, again looking for high or low spots. I also file a small notch on the underside of the fret just in from the thread slot on the peg side so I know which end goes where if the bend is not obvious. Have fun and a few cups of coffee !!

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks a lot for your replies.
Very useful again.
But the problem comes now:
3 frets on the sitar were missed so I order them on internet and now I wonder where to place them, because maybe they have same curvature as some of the old ones...
I think it's going to be very hard work but I'll try anyway.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.