INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
producito

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi friends
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #2 
I've been told by the experts not to meend the jor string, since I have a tendency to smash my head against something in anger following that very audible " SNAP-BOiiiiNG" followed by an unnatural but short twang of the sympathetic strings, followed closely behind by an "^%$# (*&^%) $#@F&^H%%$(*Y^%%$ !!!!!!!!!!", so I do not do that anymore.

The pain of breaking said string is closely related to that pain you recieve from string accupuncture. Trust me, it isn't pretty. Don't meend jor.
:roll:

Reply with quote  #3 
Must respectfully disagree my old om guy buddy.

I personally am not so good & precise to meend the jor (lucky if I can accurately bend the baj to any good result ops: )
BUT
I've seen Sitarfixer - Maestro Gaurav Mazumdar - My dear Guru Patric Marks - and many other esteemed players - meend not only the Jor but the Kharaj (if playing RS sitar) the Pancham - basically Anything that can be pulled - and have not noticed the aforementioned disastrous results.
Heck I've heard soul stirring meend during alap on the lower register strings that will set the tarafs just singing in cascading sympathetic glory.
(I REALLY work hard to amplify this very effect during sound check because it IS so amazing and beautiful and I always hear many a wha wha - gasps & exclamations of approval when those symps start singing from a lower register meend during the show)

I will have to try meend on the jor to see the result or if breakage occurs.

Possibly Tony or the more knowledgeable players here can give you an explanation why this breakage instead of beauty may be happening and a solution to your dilemma.

Your Friendly
Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #4 
Your should and can pull the Jori string for one full note higher, more than than one it will probably break.
Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
I was always taught to not bend it except for andolan and slight things. Have heard others do it though but they do break easily no matter what you do. 3rd and 4th though can do whatever you need....I'd suggest going up to an .018 if you want to do this sort of thing on the jori as it'll give you a little more security.

Lars

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OM
I've been told by the experts not to meend the jor string
That's not true. Almost all major players meend the 2nd string. Check out Shahid Parvez for example. But almost never more than a half step. Bending it a whole step is a risk of string breakage. You don't want that during a gig. You don't have a spare sitar and changing the string takes too long and spoils the gig. That's why most people are scared to do it. But I don't think bending a half step is much risk. If it is you have to take that risk if you want because it is a nice sound. I like meends on that string.

String breakage can also happen on the main string when doing meends (especially on older strings) so there is always a risk although much less than on the 2nd string of course.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sason"
Your should and can pull the Jori string for one full note higher, more than than one it will probably break.
This is basically what I've been taught (Imdadkhani style). My teacher didn't lay down any hard and fast rules about it, but teaching by example, whole note meend (komal ga to ma, for example) is rare but occasionally done, and much more common, half step meend. You won't...errr, shouldn't...break a jor string doing a slight andolan or meend from shuddh Ga to ma, but when you start trying to do whole steps things get dicier. When I first started I broke several jor strings trying to meend it further than that, haven't broken one in many years now.

Surbahar is a different story of course...
katyrow

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
I'd suggest going up to an .018 if you want to do this sort of thing on the jori as it'll give you a little more security.
I tried .018 and it broke even more easily than .016 because the thicker wire requires more tension to bring it up to pitch in the first place. Ended up buying a 500 ft spool of .016 since I break one almost every week.
sason

Reply with quote  #9 
The Jori string should not break in mind from suddh Ga to Ma (or from Re to Ga), if the the string is fasten properly and one doesn't go beyond ma. And, of course, if it is not too old.
Lars

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "katyrow"
Quote:
I'd suggest going up to an .018 if you want to do this sort of thing on the jori as it'll give you a little more security.
I tried .018 and it broke even more easily than .016 because the thicker wire requires more tension to bring it up to pitch in the first place. Ended up buying a 500 ft spool of .016 since I break one almost every week.
If the .018 is breaking then hmmm....a .020 steel maybe? Then you can do anything, or a flatwound .018 also but the sound would be different.

Lars

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lars"
If the .018 is breaking then hmmm....a .020 steel maybe? Then you can do anything, or a flatwound .018 also but the sound would be different.
yes for string breakage that would be better. But steel or flatwound doesn't have that nice slight buzz that a 2nd should have (at least for me).
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #12 
I guess I have been very fortunate with the new (for me) Hiren Roy VK model circa 1968. I routinely bend one full step and sometimes a step and a half. Most of the time I am doing my meending on the jor in the middle of the neck, not down by the targahan. I would suggest that perhaps a careful examination of the string slot would clarify why the jor is breaking so easily.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #13 
"Most of the time I am doing my meending on the jor in the middle of the neck, not down by the targahan"

This seems a pretty reasonable explanation...meend from a point further up the neck will result in a less sharp angle at the nut. Ie. playing from ma or pa on the jor, vs komal re, I would expect to be able to safely meend a bit further.

Generally though I tend to only meend on jor when it can't be otherwise done on the baj, so usually I'm doing a Re-Ga or Ga-Ma. I do venture into the upper frets on the jor occasionally but usually as a bit of a shortcut, like a quick taan that does S 'N 'P 'N S or something like that, sometimes I cheat and play across the strings to grab that pancham when in a hurry (curse of the guitarist).
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #14 
Meend on the jor has a VERY beautiful and unique sound with tons of sustain
povster

Reply with quote  #15 
Just saw this. Put me in the conservative camp. 1/2 - 1 step at best on the joditar. Even so I actually prefer to slide up the fretboad which produces a quite wonderful effect.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.