INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
A Sociomusical Analysis of the Paran - Ph.D thesis by Timothy Francom - 2012

This is an interesting and scholarly thesis on the nature of the paran, a type of composition for tabla which may originate from compositions for pakhawaj. It's about 200 pages and it can be rather heavy going at times, but the nice thing about it is that it includes many compositions, some are small and simple, others are longer and more complex, and even nicer is that you can click on the icon above it to listen to how it's played! It's a .pdf file which automatically includes the audio samples for the examples in the text.

This is an example. Clicking on the grey icon plays the paran in the text.
example of paran from Francom phd thesis.JPG 
pb

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
For whatever reason the URL on the post above got deleted, so here it is again ... (an absurdly long URL at 3 lines long!) ...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=sociomusical%20analysis%20of%20the%20paran&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftspace.library.utoronto.ca%2Fbitstream%2F1807%2F32713%2F1%2FFrancom_Timothy_D_201206_DMA_Thesis.pdf&ei=30swUsPFD8q1qQGB_oCICA&usg=AFQjCNFeNvEBY4iPX0uXGH6wsWcohuy4yw&bvm=bv.51773540,d.aWc

If this does not work, just google the title of the thesis and it will come up at the top.

pb

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.