INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Jhaptal

Reply with quote  #1 
So considering I've already been getting into it on here I guess I should introduce myself. I'm a Sarod player of the Maihar Gharana. Started studying Tabla for a few years before moving onto the Sarod which I've been studying for almost fifteen years now. I've been fortunate to have studied under some of the greatest Sarod players of this Gharana. As the old adage goes "the more I learn the less I feel I know". And so it continues.
Cheers!
povster

Reply with quote  #2 
Howdy Do, jhaptal! It is a rather nice thing you had early training in tabla. Such can be invaluable, no? Nice to see you here.
Jhaptal

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Povster,
Honestly, I can't imagine trying to study this music with out a good understanding of tala. I didn't realize when I started studying tabla that I would move on to the melodic side of things, but when I did, that training was obviously invaluable. Unfortunately I've seen musicians that come to ICM not take the time to understand tala properly and consequently they struggle. I took the time and I still struggle!
povster

Reply with quote  #4 
I guess the more you struggle the more progress you can make. When you feel the struggle is over, then all is lost!
s1owpoke

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
I guess the more you struggle the more progress you can make. When you feel the struggle is over, then all is lost!
I must be progressing a lot because I struggle all of the time with tabla and vocal training

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.