INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
evening84

Reply with quote  #1 
yet another Dilruba question (maybe we scratchers need our own forum ?) :

I replaced all the strings on my Dilruba with acoustic guitar strings and after a couple of days of enduring horrible out-of-tunedness I have manged to break it in where it sounds a whole lot better.

Just one issue - one of tarabs (tuned to lower Pa) seems to vibrate a little bit too much creating a very unpleasant jarring sound. David alludes to such a phenomena when using thicker gauges for the main playing strings - the sympathetics may resonate with a little bit too much energy for their own good. It is entirely possible that is what is happening although I am not using a thick gauge. What puzzles me is why this one string ? If it is a generic issue as such - should it not be affecting other tarabs as well ? I will change the main tuning from Ma Sa Pa Pa to Ma Sa Ma Ma and see if it starts affecting the (adjacent) Ma tarab in which case I know it is this excess energy phenomena; if it persists with the Pa still, I will change the string to see if that fixes it. Anyone encountered this with their Esraj/Dilruba/Sitar/Sarod ?

Incidentally - this sort of predicament can provide some interesting insights into how important a note is for a raag. Try playing Bilawal or Yaman while generally avoiding Pa and feel the gravity of the note as it keeps pulling you towards it - its like she is wearing a luscious searing-hot-chilli-pepper flavoured lipstick ...

coyootie

Reply with quote  #2 
ha man, your lipstick metaphor hums!
"wolf notes" are similar- it's a note on an instrument that just goes wonky producing a terribly obvious sound out of balance with the rest of notes played. probably the easiest fix would be to try a lighter gauge , if that doesn't do it, try one gauge lighter again.
thicker strings will vibrate with more energy and could be what produces the jarring sound or even whacking against adjacent strings.keep us posted about what happens! good luck.
sitardoc

Reply with quote  #3 
i've had FANTASTIC success using cello strings. ma is still .012 cryo, the final strings are the first three strings on a cello. the tone is wide and expressive, and the wolf note problem(Bflat) was solved by supergluing a penny to the left and in front of the ma string foot of the main bridge.the bass string(C#) gets everything so energized it's beyond my wildest expectations. i don't have any symp's that create a problem. i, too, first experimented w/guitar strings. might as well try and teach a black lab to play the sousaphone. i heartily recommend going over to the local violinny shop and asking them for some used strings. i wish i knew what brand mine were-my luthier buddy back in the Land O' Nuffin-i'd tell you in a heartbeat. he'll figure it out then i'll shoot the info to ye if'n yer innarested. make sure you can remove the ball end from the strings. if you can't, toss 'em and go back to ask for some mo' used strings. well, it's playin' time again.
-the flabbergasted doc :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
evening84

Reply with quote  #4 
Few more follow-up questions, doc.
(1) what are the gauges of the other three main strings then ?
(2) what are the gauges of the sympathetics ? are they all the same ?
(3) why remove the ball end from the strings ? Does that impede clear sound production ?

I am going to experiment with 0.008 gauge piano wire for sympathetics next (based on a suggestion from a sitarist friend) but am open to using other kinds , now that my fear of tinkering is (somewhat) gone.

Thanks for your suggestions, sitardoc and coyootie. Will keep you posted on the journey towards a supremely mellow sound.

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
I just replaced a taraf bridge on a recent sitar addition.

I put on all new taraf strings & found the second longest string had more of a twangy buzz than all the others. I might try another bridge but I might just get some fine sandpaper & give a little wipe on the jawari part to 'calm' it down, so to speak.

Maybe you could try that if you're confident enough. 8)

Nick
evening84

Reply with quote  #6 
Quick update. Replacing the sympathetic string with one slightly thinner did the trick. The annoyance is gone. Thanks. I suspect I may run into it again as more of the tarabs come to life through more playing. Good to know they are alive and well though now that I know how to fix their over-excitedness.
sitardoc

Reply with quote  #7 
halloo all-
the gauges of the 'cello strings are roughly.020/.030 and .040. all the sympathetics are cryo .009. it is preferable to remove the ball ends so that the string will fit 'round the tangs at the tailpiece. you might want to try some cryo. pm me if interested.
-the extraordinarily tired doc
mattm312

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "evening84"
yet another Dilruba question (maybe we scratchers need our own forum ?
Can I second that?
mattm312

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sitardoc"
i've had FANTASTIC success using cello strings. ma is still .012 cryo, the final strings are the first three strings on a cello. the tone is wide and expressive
You wouldn't happen to have any audio/video files of this setup, would you doc?
sitardoc

Reply with quote  #10 
due to extremely dry weather in jobless colorado, i haqd to do a rather major overhaul on both bridges. she's still settling in. if anybody cares to give this 'pootercretin some advice on setting up said files, the help would be welcome.
-the tired, sweaty, unemployed doc
satwas

Reply with quote  #11 
hi all
the sting axidant problem i had to
ones i dicided to macke an new bridge because the old one was a bit to short. i macke the string holes in zig zag manner .meens one hole lower(3mm ) next one higer(3mm) than lower higer... than the original curved hole line before .this gives the the string more space to vibrate .and i can put more power on them .i like this disign a lot .its not dekoative but sound amaSING ! yes komal ni is giving me trubele to .but only if this ,ni taraf is littel out of tune, tuning solves the problem . also cleenig the sting from exess rosin helbs . i do with an cloth robing up and down until it s hot and smooth again . dont like the sounds wile do ing this ? i damp the string with the other hand .bey
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.