INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
bookbuyer

Reply with quote  #1 
There is a BOL that has intrigued me for approx 20 years. I have been unable to find any information on how to do it correctly (or even what it's called, although someone once referred to it as, "chappu"). I'll try to describe it (in my own wordy style): it sounds like an extremely loud-and-piercing "na" sound. Although it appears that pakhawaj players use this bol instead of a "na," I've seen this bol done on tabla, too. The wrist turns clockwise, the 3rd finger lands on the shyahi, and through moving inertial force, the index finger continues on and strikes the white part, creating the really loud piercing sound. To see this done on tabla, it's right at the 6:10 point here:

...and to see it on the pakhawaj, the player does it over and over right at the beginning, here:

If anyone is able to point me to any information available about this bol (what it's called, how to do it right, etc), then THANK YOU very very much; it will conclude/resolve about 20 years of wondering what this bol is...
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #2 
I think what you are talking about is "sur ta". Its a remnant of pakhawaj playing. Its really another way to play "ta" on the sur. Its actually played with the 3rd finger (ring). Its the pinky that is actually the pivot point. In fact when playing this correctly, the index finger never even strikes the head. Swapan Da uses it a lot, He also plays some wonderful gats using this type of ta almost entirely (which is very difficut to do).

Reply with quote  #3 
On the link you posted, he does "it" 8 seconds (0:08) into the clip? Yes! That's it! Thank you for your post, and thank you for acknowledging this bol.

I've never learned it correctly. I've experimented just from watching, and am only able to do it correctly 1-out-of-20 times, only on certain pakhawajs, and never on tabla.

Can you (or anyone else reading this thread) point out some instructional reference material pertaining to this bol, on the internet?

25-odd years ago, I had the priviledge of sitting next to Maharudra (of Ganeshpuri) while he would drum for evening kirtan, and he would play this bol; the sound was totally awesome.

Thank you.
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #4 
Here is another clip of swapan da playing it again. At the tihai, he uses it in the last couple of dhins.

As for explaining how to do it. You really should consult a knowlegable teacher. I dont think i can do it justice by trying to explain it over the internet.

Reply with quote  #5 
my guruji plays it with his pinky and i sill havent learnt it. he can play it with his left hand pinky also.
scodoha

Reply with quote  #6 
This what you talking bout?
Swara

Reply with quote  #7 
the 2 ways to play pakhawaj style TA on tabla:

1. The little finger has contact with the syahi,the other fingers are relaxed and rebound when you make the stroke. This is the way Tablafreak describes and also the most common way.
2. Only the fleshy part on the palm of your hand (just under the pinky)is allowed to keep contact with the dayan. The stroke is made with the entire hand,allowing all the fingers to rebound. Compare this with a karate hit on your tabla.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.