INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
nikhilwannabee

Reply with quote  #1 
A few years back I was lucky enough to find a lovely Radhey Shyam Sharma and Bros. surbahar forgotten in a closet down in Louisville, Ky. That was about 8 years ago. I sent it first to Scott Hackleman who got it back into good playing shape, and then a couple of years back Tony K. also spiffed it up. Tony decided the 8 strings was too many, so we took it down to 7. I have not been able to really play that for a while (with so many other things going on), but now I want to play it! But the empty peg bugs me, darn it, I can't enjoy it with that string missing and I can't get it to sound right, either. And normally I can fiddle and adjust and and least get most instruments to play somewhat nicely. But not this one. Should I put the string back on, and what about tuning this beast? Any suggestions would be helpful! Here's what she looks like...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=636212676418182&set=a.342655609107225.76999.298550303517756&type=1&theater
povster

Reply with quote  #2 
Which peg is the "8th peg" and what was it strung for?
nikhilwannabee

Reply with quote  #3 
There are 5 main pegs plus 3 chikaris, 7 strings on though right now the 'ma' position is empty.
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #4 
just play, the more you play the more this will become clear to you. Many sitars have an empty peg. gf
nikhilwannabee

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Greg, I did just that today and it started to open up after all.
Lars

Reply with quote  #6 
4 mains & 4 chikaris. Mains are KP style, chikaris are PA-SA(low)-SA(low)-SA(high). Like this Radhey Surbahar:

Lars

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Lars! Now that's what I'm talking' about.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #8 
What I was going on about with the peg / string setup is that by loading all 8 pegs, the MA (1st.) string leaves the nut enroute to the peg at a reeeely sharp angle. With meend action, the slot on the nut could break or the string could break. By leaving that peg vacant as it is now and routing the MA string to peg #2, the string angle is greatly reduced. The remaining strings just follow around their peg assignments as normal. Packing 8 strings would provide the double chikari support strings like a "VK" sitar has. Useful indeed. As that other instrument in the pic shows, two pegs on one side of the headstock and three pegs on the other throws the visual balance off completely. That drives me nuts !

Reply with quote  #9 
I've an 8-stringer and I once had the nut slot on the ma string chip out badly on a meend, forcing me to cut a new slot...Tony has a good point there. I wonder about using a screw in eye bolt/hook to help soften the angle issue a bit, as being a sitarist much beloved of his VK style quadruple chikaris its a hard thing to lose the four of them!

Although realistically, they don't provide that much benefit. For me the extra one has to stay tuned to Pa, because tuning it down to Ga, as on a sitar, is just a bit too muddy sounding at the lower register. So aside from some extra sound reinforcement (read: extra opportunity for the instrument to be out of tune with itself) its not terrifically useful.

My main travail with this instrument right now is that the taraf string post broke loose, after a first repair hoping that wood glue would be sufficient to hold it (nope). Maybe if Tony gets within range on another Jawari Safari......
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi, all.

NkwB,
Interesting Q. But before I write any opinion, I must ask:

You called them surb (top 1 in the pic= the one w/ less plastic, I assume) & sitar (bottom):
I see both are roughly the same length, the top 1 has what looks like a somewhat thicker neck, the bottom has a sitar-type gourd & more plastic, so:

Q1. Vibrating string length in each;
Q2. Sa=? (tunings for both);
Q3. string(/s) thickness & materials
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #11 
Hey nicneufeld.....
Remember Tonys only 45 minutes south of Chicago.
So next time you take the run north bring 'EM on....

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.