INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
ragamala

Reply with quote  #1 
A friend has resurrected some interesting and perhaps quite rare 78 ICM performances. Help is needed with identification, as the documentation has, sadly, been lost.

The first six vocal tracks are in the vocal1 folder at this address
http://www.mediafire.com/?l76xbq1rr86wb

Any and all help identifying singers/ragas welcome. In due course I will add more, and there are also instrumental tracks.
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #2 
#1 Bade Ghulam Ali Khan - Jaijaiwanti
#2 Vinayakrao Patwardhan - Jaijaiwanti (can really hear where DV Paluskar got some of vocalisms from in this recording)
#3 Faiyyaz Khan - Jaijaiwanti (how many more can we take)
#4 don't know the artist but it sounds like a Marathi natyasangeet - Bihag (thank God; I couldn't take another Jaijaiwanti)
#5 don't know artists but raga is Bihag again, popular bandish sang often by Ulhas Kashalkar, so probably singer is some Gwaliorwala.
#6 Mogubai Kurdikar - Bageshri (Pancham Swari taal tarana!)

Reply with quote  #3 
Brilliant, that's ever so helpful. Many thanks. You're a star!

Of course you know what's coming next. Another batch of vocal in vocal2 folder now uploaded.

Best
Alan
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #4 
#8 Keserbai Kerkar - Gaud Malhar
#9 DV Paluskar - Gaud Malhar
#10 DV Paluskar - Miyan ki Malhar
#11 Kersbai Kerkar - Nand
#12 Kerserbai Kerkar - Maru Bihag
#13 Faiyaz Khan - Chayanat
#18 Abdul-Karim Khan - Jhinjhoti
#20 DV Paluskar - Hameer
#21 Amir Khan - Megh
#22 DV Paluskar - Bahar

But come on, don't tell me you don't know these, Alan! What are you up to?

Reply with quote  #5 
Seriously, it's as I described. I promised an ICM friend I would try and get these identified one way or the other for him. I really haven't listened to even a single one of these through yet myself, although I am at the computer most of my day it's working in a different direction, writing, and at the moment I just don't have the spare time or wanting distraction to do other than take an occasional short break when I can check a file conversion job or upload.

But I think the main thing is, you are overestimating my knowledge and ability. It might take me ages, days, to do what you can obviously achieve in minutes. I have had for a long time a great deal of respect for someone I rank amongst the most knowledgeable contributors to this forum. And I'm not shy to say this in open thread rather than in PM.
cabernethy

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jaan
I have had for a long time a great deal of respect for someone I rank amongst the most knowledgeable contributors to this forum
Hear, Hear !!!

Jaan, you are truly a most worthy contributor well done !!!!

P.S. How did you get so to be so wise ???

Carl
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #7 
Stop it guys!

It kind of helps if you've heard the recordings before hand. :wink:

Reply with quote  #8 
and a seriously refined memory
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.