INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone,

This sitar is a performance-level instrument, and it needs to go to either a performer, or dedicated student.

I recently acquired a Rikhi Ram Vilayat Khan style Gandhar Pancham sitar. It was made in the 70's and had 2 owners, hardly played. This sitar was purcahsed in Delhi from the Rikhi Ram shop by a traveler. He brought the instrument home, and rarely played it for about 25-30 years. He trie to sell it locally, and failed, and passed it along to a friend. He then passed it along to me, wanting to make sure it found a good home.

Everything about this sitar is original. The frets hardly show any wear at all- practically new. The jawari showed the equivalent of about 50hrs of practice before I reshaped it. The jawari had never been redone, meaning this sitar has only been played 50hrs in its life! Other than that it was in the case (also original).

Since I got the sitar, I restrung it with Rosslau wire, re-guled the bone nuts, polished the frets, sanded and chalked the pegs, repositioned the jawari (and attached it with shellac), and reshaped the jawari for a more VK/SP style tone. This is one of the best gandhar pancham sitars I've ever heard. However, I can tell it has not reached is full potential due to lack of playing. It needs to be played a few hours a day for a month or two to really open up.

Now the bad- there are 3 small defects. There is a 1/2" chip in the finish on the back of the gourd- purely cosmetic, and very normal for an instrument this age. There is also a 4" hair-line crack on the back of the neck at the top. It follows the grain, but does not intersect the peg holes. I worked some glue into the crack to keep it from spreading- this is not structurally important, and does not affect the tone of the instrument at all. The sitar also has a chip in the bone tailpiece. This is very common for bone tailpieces- one of the reasons why they are not used much anymore. None of these issues are major, and my 7 year old Hiren Roy has comparable issues. No big deal.

Asking price $2000+ shipping

Attached Images
jpeg RR GP sitar1.jpg (91.46 KB, 3 views)
jpeg RR GP sitar2.jpg (63.50 KB, 3 views)
jpeg RR GP sitar3.jpg (83.59 KB, 3 views)

Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #2 
Some more photos of the back. The crack on the back looks more prevalent in the picture- I lit it to show you the crack. In real life, its not very noticeable- took me about an hour with the sitar to even find it.

Attached Images
jpeg RR GP sitar 4.jpg (101.68 KB, 2 views)
jpeg RR GP sitar 5.jpg (56.27 KB, 2 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.