INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #1 
What a mind boggling concept. Sa is Sa, right? X 7? Depends on your point of view, aka "personal taste"............
povster

Reply with quote  #2 
Lots of chatter about it already on here. For me, my eyes tend to glass over when the slide rules and oscilloscopes come out.

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7050&hilit=changing+sa#p42765

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7117

mayer141

Reply with quote  #3 
This is such a good point. What if one masks 'Sa'? Re-tunes the sitar and turns off the drone box/sacks the tanpura player?
One can still use the same rag grammar (pakards, vadi, samvadi, etc....) but without the grounding of 'Sa' it achieves a floating 'Sa'....allows for such freedom and unrest! :mrgreen:
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #4 
Ah - freedom and unrest! Just what we all crave! One could use a volume pedal type device to move SA around during performance, even give it a little wiggle now and then? Like the oscillations of sub-atomic particles? : )
mayer141

Reply with quote  #5 
Now ya talkin'! We could even have an ensemble of sitars all tuned 1/4 tones apart...it would be like Ligeti in Delhi
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #6 
Sounds like a plan. Then we can hire some geek with a slide rule AND an ocilliscope, and put him in charge of "SA". Methinks I see some concert-type event shaping up here,,,,, preferably in the "New Age-y Fusion Nusic" category, preferably staged in Little Rock Arkansas?
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #7 
Many players have said that the clam they played was " Jazz, man " ! ! ! ( " I know this cat whose's so hip he won't even eat a square meal " ) ! ! ! So now when I yank a clam on my sitar I can say " Oh,no ! That was me pulling the 4th. shade of komal NI or whatever " ! ! ! I like this ! ! ! !

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mayer141"
One can still use the same rag grammar (pakards, vadi, samvadi, etc....) but without the grounding of 'Sa' it achieves a floating 'Sa'....allows for such freedom and unrest! :mrgreen:
I used to drive a '55 Pakard......
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chefothefuture"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mayer141"
I used to drive a '55 Pakard......
Good one...!! Must be that Washington State water!

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.