INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Agape

Reply with quote  #16 
I am always confusing the gauges thing thanks povster : )
barend

Reply with quote  #17 
Thanks!, now it is clear

So what gauge are most of you use for the second string (Sa)?

I have had several broken Sa strings the last month, so I am considering changing to a heavier gauge for this string.

Now I use the 017 gauge which I have bought at sitarsetc.
but I also have a coil that I bought in India it says 27, so again some confusion here, maybe they have a different measurement in India?
vevek

Reply with quote  #18 
I found it a lot tougher to play on #4. Its heavy on the fingers but good if you are tuned to C playing jugalbandi with sarod for example. I found in my stuff a roll which is marked 3 1/4 which on the micrometer is between 3 and 4. Perhap its an idea to moved to an intermediate guage as an experiment. If I have it it must be available.

V
festus

Reply with quote  #19 
Thanks for the chart Povster... I copied it and put it on the wall next to one of my work benches for a quick reference.
povster

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "festus"
Thanks for the chart Povster... I copied it and put it on the wall next to one of my work benches for a quick reference.
You're most welcome, Festus. I got it from a forum member here and I think they posted a link to it but danged if I can find the link or the post. I just extracted the pertinent info and saved it as a text file.

I have gone back to number 3 on my Hiren. After a while just too much pressure for my left hand, which is STILL recovering from surgery over a year ago.

adunc069

Reply with quote  #21 
so, when my new Sanjay Rikhi ram arrived, it had #4 gauge for Ma string. i didn't realize how high the tuning was at, but it was a little close to E when i tuned it! maybe that's cause of guitar playing is tuned to E????? anyways, I snapped two strings while doing meends from Ma to high Sa, so i said forget that, and went to #3 gague. Then I tuned down to a little below D, what a difference in tension! it felt like playing with a piece of melted butter, at which point I went back to #4 which definitely adds a nice thick sound to the sitar, #3 sounds wimpy now, don't think I'll go back to it........but if you use #3 and tune to E, it's a super bright crisp tone......
adunc069

Reply with quote  #22 
Okay, so here's what Ustadji said about #4 string. Ustad Vilayat Khan used #4 all his life. This apparently damaged his tissues/muscles in his hand because the tension is too high, and when he got older that's why he would bend with a sideways hand instead of with a straight hand. Ustadji uses #3 string..............so i guess #4 too thick, #3 just right................so I'm switching back to #3................. 8)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.