INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
desh

Reply with quote  #1 
Hmmm, do you think someone will try a sitar anytime soon?

http://3dprint.com/98926/3dli-3d-print-tabla-drum-pair/
Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
A sitar body has just been done, pic is up on the Rain City Music facebook page. They haven't fitted it yet though but I think it's the first one anyone has tried. Interesting definitely but jury is out on the sound and all that of course.

Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
And Printing a Bridge with Jawary done from a sitarmaker ??
Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
I've looked into that a bit. I think the problem is the material, they do have resin 3d printers which would be a better option. I've opted for molding bridges and then hand finishing. Even a 3D bridge would have to be hand finished and fitted I would assume.

Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lars"
Even a 3D bridge would have to be hand finished and fitted I would assume
Yes, although you could offer a range of standards grades from, say 0 to 10.
0 being completely closed, to 10 being completely open.
Players could then try a few out, and see which works best with their instruments.
A bit like trying on new shoes.
Lars

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rex@sitar.co.za"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lars"
Even a 3D bridge would have to be hand finished and fitted I would assume
Yes, although you could offer a range of standards grades from, say 0 to 10.
0 being completely closed, to 10 being completely open.
Players could then try a few out, and see which works best with their instruments.
A bit like trying on new shoes.
Really if it could be dialed in like that then it should go to 11 don't you think? Who knows maybe someone will come up with it!

Lars

Reply with quote  #7 
I've thought idly about this a lot...I lack the skills, knowledge, experience, and even motivation to make it happen, but still...

I would envision, perhaps, a modular and very adjustable bridge. The two legs perhaps with thumbwheel or other height adjustment. You'd still have to fit it to the surface properly. Unless you came up with some footed design with hinged feet on each side to accommodate the curve of the tabli.

Then for the top, what if you had a modular slot for bridge sections...could be made from bone, horn, wood, or synthetic. Each string (and perhaps chikari as a group) would have its own section. This would allow you to dial in the jawari and sound per each string...more growl on the kharaj, cleaner chikari, open baaj, etc. Say you love the way the bone jawari sounds on your lower strings but want a more durable baaj jawari, you use synthetic there, but not elsewhere...etc.

The other idea, though I'm not sure it would be integratable into the above really, would be a sort of rotational adjustment. Think of how a logarithm looks, graphed...where it flattens out as it approaches...well, whatever it approaches....that's your open jawari but you rotate the bridge surface, gradually sharpening the curve to close the sound. I have no idea if anyone could make anything usable or sounding good from that approach but it is conceptually interesting to me, anyway. You have your "all in one" jawari (probably in some durable synthetic) and to fine tune it you just rotate it slightly, then lock it down, thus changing the angle of attack the strings take across the curved surface.

As for 3D printing, I'd be worried that most of the consumer grade stuff would be too soft ultimately. Not that I'm an expert! Things have assuredly come a long way since I last paid attention to it in 2009 or whenever it was. I could see it being useful for trim or decorations though, perhaps.
vbnautilus

Reply with quote  #8 
I think what we need is a 3D scan of the sitar that the bridge is going onto, so then we can adjust the shape of the feet of the bridge before printing, so as to perfectly maintain the right angle on the jawari.

You can 3D print with nylon filament, which I think would be strong enough, especially since its so easily replaceable, it doesn't need to last as long.
kalyan

Reply with quote  #9 
What would be cool is a bridge table made of nice wood, well fit, that had two placement tabs extending up On the top then you could make replacement bridges with divots that would drop on the table at exactly the same place. Then if you were useing a 3d image ( either CNBC or 3dprinting) you could have the exact same shape and do a very good AB test of the different materials. You could also move the angel in small increments to find your perfect shape, without having to use plastic bridge feet which i have a very strong feeling will not help the sound. I would doubt that a plastic tabli would sound very good, but who knows. I think that the fibers and cells of wood make for good vibration that a solid plastic will not sound like. It might still be a nice sound but I guess very different from what we are used to. The reason the carbon grafite works well for faces is it has a similar structure to wood it is just lighter and stronger. We shall see soon .
Kalyan

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.