INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
SitarMac

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey ya'll-
I'm hoping Tony-Da will se this and have some idea. I've been playing my RR Geetanjali pretty much non-stop since I got it back. This morning I was doing my weekend maintainence and I was touching up a couple of spots on my sympathetic bridge. On my lowest sym string and the one above it, I lowered the lip a bit too much and the jawari opened crazy up. I tried to adjust towards the back of the bridge to close it, but it doesn't seem to work. To make things worse, the buzz is a sruti above the true not when ringing out. So id I tune the string softly and perfectly to my 2nd chikari and then play Sa on my 1st playing string, the symp will ring out nicely, but its a touch sharp. When striking the sypm on its own, its in tune, its just when its ringing out that the sruti is basur. To get it to catch correct sur, I have to flatten the symp just a touch.....This is no good and I can't seem to bring back the original sound. I'm the bridge filer BOMB, but this has stumped me completely. Is it possible that this has something to do with how deep the groove on the back of the symp bridge is cut? I've never experienced this ever, so I'm gonna wait for some feed back before I do anymore work.

Reply with quote  #2 
hey oj,

'the bomb' eh? looks like your hanging out with Jimmy-da too much! :-)

jf

SitarMac

Reply with quote  #3 
Yo RJ-
Yeah man......This has totally "Bombed" my bridge filing ego!!!! I just can't figure it out...........Tony-Da will know. Once he sorts me out, I'll be back in the champion chair.

Reply with quote  #4 
hey,

yea the groove at the back of the bridge will definitely affect your situation. think about it: by lowering the back of the bridge you're increasing the angle at which the string leaves the jawari. if there's a deep groove, you're not affecting the string angle. what i've learned is to lower it until there's no groove left everytime i do jawari. i end up doing it about every 3-4 weeks, but then again i play a couple of hours a day. . ops: im willing to bet Jimmy-da didn't have the jawari done while he had your instrument so its probably long over due.

jf

SitarMac

Reply with quote  #5 
Yeah......You'd bet right on that about Jimmy-Da not having the jawari done. But I've lowered the back angle on the symp bridge so that if you actually look at the side of the bridge, the first Sa symp is actually running uphill right to the lip. It should be flat closed at this point, but its still making a buzz, which means it has to be this bridge material. The top bridge is fine...Just this damn symp bridge.

Reply with quote  #6 
Just curious sitarmac, do the symp strings touch the edge as they leave the bridge? e.g. is there a gap there? Have tried moving the bridge up or down? Just some random thoughts....

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "SitarMac"
Yeah......You'd bet right on that about Jimmy-Da not having the jawari done. But I've lowered the back angle on the symp bridge so that if you actually look at the side of the bridge, the first Sa symp is actually running uphill right to the lip. It should be flat closed at this point, but its still making a buzz, which means it has to be this bridge material. The top bridge is fine...Just this damn symp bridge.

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #7 
"Verrrrrrry Interesting"! With all the ongoing filing being done to that bridge, I gotta wonder if you haven't hit rock bottom. How low is the entire bridge surface? You need some kind of reasonable string angle at the back of the bridge. That is the line looking from the side where the string has left the bridge surface and is heading down toward the tail piece. If it looks pretty much like a straight line, the whole thing is too low. What you get is a rack of strings that aren't solidly seated on the bridge surface. That might also explain that wierd harmonic that's ringing out. Without seeing this instrument, here's all I can recommend. If there is an almost straight line as mentioned, try moving the bridge back towards the tail a bit. The shape of the tabli, raised in the middle, will lift the bridge (relative to the line from eyelet to tail) when that bridge is moved back. That will increase the string angle a bit. That not working, you may have to replace the bridge legs to get the bridge higher. Don't get it so high that the longest wire catches the underside of the frets. That's one reason I set the neck joint angle back about 3 degrees during construction. It solves all these problems and others. Still not working? How about the slots on the bridge? Are they lower on the outer edge? I'm also thinking that by filing the back side of the bridge, you've got it seemingly corrected but the actual pressure of the string on the bridge isn't enough. The string may be touching the surface but if the whole operation is too low, there isn't enough pressure to properly seat the string to the bridge for the right sound. If all else fails, try a different bridge that's a bit higher overall. Fun, huh !?!

Reply with quote  #8 
Finally!!!!

Ok-Gonna give this a shot-Thanks Tony-Da!!! i literally waited all day by the computer for you!!!! As Jimmy Pomerantz says-"YOU'RE THE BOMB"!!!

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.