INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
coyootie

Reply with quote  #1 
this just fortuitously appeared..... bought from the Ali Akbar College store in 1970,never played. With its original rexine case-hey those were state of the art back then! Completely overhauled and tweaked, pegs refit, frets polished and retied tightly, jewari'ed, both tumbas refinished with shellac and earth pigments ( they had flaked a lot). Some of the leaves on the upper tumba have lifted/warped slightly.
Wooden upper tumba, overall 49-1/2" long and a 14-1/2" wide tabli.I have plenty more hi rez pix if you're interested in purchasing this sweet old treasure. pm me for price and shipping.The celluloid plate at the end of the pegbox is gone-otherwise all there and original.

Attached Images
jpeg hemcase111.jpg (213.78 KB, 24 views)
jpeg hembadge.jpg (249.50 KB, 21 views)
jpeg hemfull.jpg (142.90 KB, 22 views)

cwroyds

Reply with quote  #2 
Wow. That is a nice Hemen.
I love the color and the wood is lovely.
I bet it sounds as good as it looks.
Teak holds up well so I bet it is great.
coyootie

Reply with quote  #3 
it's sold.
coyootie

Reply with quote  #4 
the buyer backed out, so this is now available. Please DON'T ask me to hold this unless you are a serious buyer.
Behroo

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi,
I was gifted an old Hemen Sitar with a Black Badge.
Looking at your Sitar with the White Label, makes me wonder, what differences are attributable to the Hemens based upon the Badge / Label ?

Will be grateful, if you can answer my query, thank you.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behroo
Hi,
I was gifted an old Hemen Sitar with a Black Badge.
Looking at your Sitar with the White Label, makes me wonder, what differences are attributable to the Hemens based upon the Badge / Label ?

Will be grateful, if you can answer my query, thank you.

I have seen Hemen sitar with rectangular white badges with red lettering, and I have seen others with smaller round black badges with gold lettering. 
The round black badge is the same one they used on sarods. 
Both are Hemen.
I don't think it says anything particular about the sitar.
Behroo

Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you, but was that the "rectangular White with Red alpha-numerals" were to designate Professional Grade and the "oval Black with Gold" was a notch below ?

or Vice-versa ?
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behroo
Thank you, but was that the "rectangular White with Red alpha-numerals" were to designate Professional Grade and the "oval Black with Gold" was a notch below ?

or Vice-versa ?

I don't think so.
Usually level of model was designated by the amount of work put into it. (I.e Carving, decoration, pegs)
Makers usually used the same badge for all, but the badge could vary depending on when it was made, as makers occasionally updated their badge design.

Below is an over simplification, as designs vary from maker to maker, and a simple sitar may be a monstrously good sitar, but in general sitars are classified a bit like this:

#1 Top level sitar - "Fully Carved" - highest decoration, fully carved tabli, fully carved gullu, elaborately carved pegs (Rose shaped, etc.), and elaborate pen work.

#2 Mid Level sitar - "Half-Carved" - Fully carved tabli, half carved gullu, spiral carved pegs, pen work.

#3 Student Model - Simply carved tabli, plain or minimally carved gullu, simple pegs, pen work.

Why not post a picture of your sitar.
I would like to see it. 

Behroo

Reply with quote  #9 
sending pics, hope it gets uploaded (it failed earlier)
Behroo

Reply with quote  #10 
done few restorations from my end at home, like turning main Khuntis, to replace missing original ones,

hand-crafted the big wooden Ghodi and used Bone (unfortunately I had small deer Antler),

original upper tumbaa was smashed with a small piece attached, so turned a small log (Hemen was quoting a ridiculously high price when enquired through a friend)... design to be carved pending,

one celluloid Bird on Tabli missing, hope to make one soon,

tried playing with Synthetic Bridge, which was okay, but the Bone Bridge is better sounding (working on the Jawaari).

Worst Case Scenario, will take it to Kolkata or Miraj for a professional restoration.

Attached Images
jpeg 1555491794740-1276784486.jpg (178.18 KB, 13 views)
jpeg 1555492042015-778709365.jpg (294.06 KB, 14 views)
jpeg 15554922000572032737076.jpg (144.32 KB, 11 views)
jpeg 1555492571256-888459410.jpg (174.04 KB, 13 views)
jpeg 15554927601322059189314.jpg (296.09 KB, 12 views)
jpeg 15554930983431325973183.jpg (245.91 KB, 11 views)
jpeg 15554932556101798736508.jpg (149.63 KB, 14 views)
jpeg 15554934360261338633915.jpg (246.17 KB, 13 views)

cwroyds

Reply with quote  #11 
Cool.
If you check my description of the different levels of sitar, this would be the "Half-Carved" one. 
Those two matching swirl pegs are the original ones. 
You could probably find similar ones to replace those odd pegs. 
Tabli carving looks nice. 

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the second toomba. 
Turned wood ones don't really add much to the party.
Fine sitars have natural gourd toombas, as they do help with resonance, mostly to the player, giving a subtle stereo effect. 
Most people don't use them these days. 
I do enjoy putting one on every once in a while, just for fun. 

Thanks for showing it off. 
Looks like a cool sitar. 

Behroo

Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you for grading my Sitar :) & appreciating the Tabli design.

I took the liberty of making somethings from my end, just to know how it would look & sound, before I take it to a professional restorer.

Regarding the upper gourd, I agree.

Still, can you make a guess whether it is a late 60's or early 70's ?

Thanks once again for all the informative descriptions in your earlier reply.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.