INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
katyrow

Reply with quote  #1 
This one will be a challenge.

IMG_1017.jpg  IMG_1025.jpg  IMG_1028.jpg  IMG_1029.jpg  IMG_1031.jpg  IMG_1034.jpg  IMG_1035.jpg  IMG_1046.jpg  IMG_1067.jpg  IMG_1074.jpg 
At some point, the scale length was shortened from its original 40" to 37.5" and the location of the baaj peg was moved.  

So, the first question is whether to restore it the original scale length or leave it with the shorter length.  I'm tempted to leave it because it's part of the history of the instrument.  Interested in what others think though.  

westsea

Reply with quote  #2 
I vote for original string length... the way the builder intended it to be.
trippymonkey@gmail.com

Reply with quote  #3 
Without actually seeing it 'live' so to speak, it looks like a sitar body with what we call a 'KACHUA' tabli.
My surbahars have a wide, slimmish-flatter neck but this seems like a slightly rounded one ?!?!?!

Can't wait to see it finished - if you live that long !!! HA HA

Best
Nick
katyrow

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsea
I vote for original string length... the way the builder intended it to be.

Thanks Westsea.  I've gotten started on extending it to the original scale length.  The right decision for sure.  
AllenDS

Reply with quote  #5 
Good luck with the restoration!

Reply with quote  #6 
Any more info on this worthy subject ???
katyrow

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippymonkey@gmail.com
Any more info on this worthy subject ???

It's about 70 percent done.  I've put it back to the original scale length per Westsea.  Unfortunately, about 1/3 of the gourd is missing, mostly large sections.  Replacing the voids will take some time.

Every nub on the langot was sheared off

IMG_1046.jpg 

Augmented the original langot with resin:

IMG_1559.jpg  IMG_1561.jpg  IMG_1570.jpg  IMG_1572.jpg 

Should work well.

trippymonkey@gmail.com

Reply with quote  #8 
WOWWWWW What a great job you're doing ?!!?
Really DO hope it all works out as you want !!!

Well Done !!
katyrow

Reply with quote  #9 

This probably didn't have a foot/stand originally.  There is no wood backing for the foot behind the gourd.  This foot looks like it was cut with a jigsaw.  The screws were to re-attach the part that had been broken off.  They didn't extend into the instrument. 

IMG_1041.jpg  IMG_1042.jpg 

This is an enormous instrument that needs a foot.  Added 1/4 to 1/2 inch of resin reinforcement inside the gourd for anchoring screws for the new foot.

IMG_1692.jpg  IMG_1704.jpg 

This bird, made here, seemed to be in keeping with the age and style of the instrument.

IMG_1859.jpg 

The langot, still attached to the wood backing and gourd, was completely separated from the instrument.

IMG_1699.jpg 

Added resin backing for reinforcement of the langot.  The resin bonds strongly to both the wood and the gourd.  It is fortified with polymers and is rock-hard and very rigid.  This resin stretches from the rim of the tabli, over the complete height of the backing plate, and extending to the gourd over the top and to the sides of the plate.  There will be no movement of the langot on meend.  This is far stronger than it was originally.  The resin was poured with the pins in tact for added stability.  

IMG_1721.jpg  IMG_1725.jpg 
About 1/3 of the gourd was missing, but has now been replaced.

IMG_1772.jpg  IMG_1800.jpg  IMG_1826.jpg  IMG_1845.jpg 
IMG_1877.jpg  IMG_1879.jpg 
This is not the final color of the gourd.  

The scale length as been restored to the original 40" from the modified 37.5".  

IMG_1613.jpg 
It's pretty much done structurally, but there is a lot of cosmetic work to do, and set up will be a chore.  

IMG_1851.jpg   
With the gourd restored, I can tell from tapping the tabli that this will instrument will be thunderous. 

g

Reply with quote  #10 
Absolutely incredible job! Can't wait to see (and hear) the final result 
Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #11 
Amazing work here - it is very touching to see such a glorious instrument being restored. The initial pictures did not (at least to my eyes) portray quite how large it is, but this last picture above really puts it in perspective. Would you mind giving the tabli width, as well as the height of the toomba (by that I mean, when the instrument is lying as it is in the picture above, the distance between the ground and the tabli)?

Thank you - and looking forward to seeing the rest of the progress!
katyrow

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks Tomek! 

Surprisingly, the tabli width is only 17", which I think of as pretty typical.  

Sitting flat, it's about 7.5" tall at the neck joint and about 9.5" tall at the langot.  I think it's the size (and mostly the angle of the cut) of the gourd that makes it comparatively large.  The gourd extends more than 2.5" past the edge of the tabli at the langot.  

barend

Reply with quote  #13 
Yes amazing job! You are a real wizard! what is the maker of that surbahar?
katyrow

Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks Barend!  No idea on the maker.  It had no badge. I doubt that it ever had one, but certainly would have lost it when the scale length was shortened.  It was really butchered, but not in a way that will affect it going forward.  
katyrow

Reply with quote  #15 
This end was a joy to rebuild.

IMG_1973.jpg  IMG_2036.jpg  IMG_2039.jpg  IMG_2046.jpg 
IMG_1985.jpg 

The other end has been a challenge.  Still working through it.  I've concluded that originally it didn't have a second meru as a "string guide," so the plan is for one nut only.  The original scale length remains a question, but it was somewhere between 39" and 40".  Should be done reasonably soon.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.