INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
coyootie

Reply with quote  #1 
this is an extraordinary sitar. it is the only one I ever seen with a date-the Kanailal family wished to document this one obviously. The fret layout is traditional to the gharana of Mushtaq Ali Khan and I have seen some other older sitars with this layout. Note the upper tumba, small numerous soundholes in the tabli, the wonderful pegs ( such pegs or similar are typical of earlier sitars). The rails under the frets are bone or sambar antler.
I am planning to build a sitar modelled on this one, with higher rails and flat frets. The rudrabeen and Southern veena both have flat frets and it makes great sense to construct this way, no complex jawari angles to compensate for curved frets needed.A while back a curved bridge to match the curve of frets appeared, which made sense also,but the idea of flat frets seems simpler and a more elegant solution.
just got started with myphotoalbum, hope this works!
http://wobblier.myphotoalbum.com
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #2 
holy sweet Jeezus where does the buddah sit!!!???
I got wood but it ain't anything like this!!!

Reply with quote  #3 
Nice looking sitar. Is this one still playable?

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "coyootie"
this is an extraordinary sitar. it is the only one I ever seen with a date-the Kanailal family wished to document this one obviously. The fret layout is traditional to the gharana of Mushtaq Ali Khan and I have seen some other older sitars with this layout. Note the upper tumba, small numerous soundholes in the tabli, the wonderful pegs ( such pegs or similar are typical of earlier sitars). The rails under the frets are bone or sambar antler.
I am planning to build a sitar modelled on this one, with higher rails and flat frets. The rudrabeen and Southern veena both have flat frets and it makes great sense to construct this way, no complex jawari angles to compensate for curved frets needed.A while back a curved bridge to match the curve of frets appeared, which made sense also,but the idea of flat frets seems simpler and a more elegant solution.
just got started with myphotoalbum, hope this works!
http://wobblier.myphotoalbum.com

povster

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "AbdulLatif"
holy sweet Jeezus where does the buddah sit!!!???
I got wood but it ain't anything like this!!!
Just remember wood gets better the more you play on it! ops:

coyootie

Reply with quote  #5 
it definitely is still playable. judging from the bridges, they've been replaced probably a few times in the life of the instrument.the sound is lovely too.
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #6 
hi,

sitar?! that seams to be a surbahar to me. . .

best,

jf

coyootie

Reply with quote  #7 
it definitely is a sitar.it's about 48" long and this type of kachua ("turtle") tumba cut horizontally is the style of early sitars.
the tuning is:
SA- sa -pa- low pa- low sa- low sa- ma.
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #8 
Hai Dag BaBa,
Is the antler piece on the neck gulu joint a later repair? they do look like old screws so even if, its an old repair.
Thats just got to be a real joy to hold and play, The ICM equivelent of a original Martin.

Reply with quote  #9 
I have a nice shot of a 'Kachua' sitar on my pics site too

http://www.trippy.myphotoalbum.com

I wondered about the bridge as it had a Ravi Shankar style POST 1915 bridge on it. I then read about changes of bridge as well as thinking about a near century old one too. ops:

Nick
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #10 
I was just checking out the pics again.
Is it really so OOOLLDDD??
It's in damn good contidition if it is. Or has it been refinished a few times as well as bridge changes? :?

Nick
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #11 
My understanding is that the instrument has unquestionable provenance. I'm almost certain the bridge is non original in design as well as age. It does look outstanding I hope our instruments are that well loved in 91 years. We'll just be listening by then, hope theres no fusion in heaven.

Reply with quote  #12 
Hmmm... yes, it does look at though the date was added later rather than "dated" at the time of manufacture. Anyway, it would be interesting to compare this sitar with other of the same age... anyone have any comparitive pics of old sitars?
coyootie

Reply with quote  #13 
i am also certain that the badge was added later, but it does have impeccable provenance and the badge was added just to make it simpler to ascertain the date and ownership.
I'd be very interested to see any other sitar with a written date, or anythinng of this age, too!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.