INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
willow

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone
just wondered if anyone had ever come across one of the above mentioned sitars and if you had any information at all
thanyou
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi
Were Naskar actually making sitars so far back???
Why the interest? Have you found a very old sitar that has a Naskar tag on it?

Nick
willow

Reply with quote  #3 
Hello Nick
thankyou for your reply, the sitar belongs to a friend and has been handed down through the family, it is not full size, but was made for a child, the resonating gourd? was missing but later replaced at some time, it has the makers label on it. The instrument has been stored away for some time(a little worse for wear) but we are just interested to find out more if we can at all, it is definately early last century made, looks different in some ways to sitars we have seen
many thanks for your interest
Willow
mayer141

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi,
Can you post a link to a picture of it on the forum?

Jon
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
Yes Please post a link to some pictures of it.
I got my hands on several Naskar sitars that looked very old &, according to my restorer, were/are about 40 years old.
What makes you think yours is early 1900s?

Nick
willow

Reply with quote  #6 
Hello Nick and Jon
am sorry but don't know how to put photo's and links on the internet, we are pretty sure the sitar is from early 1900's because it was made for some one and remained in the same family ever since, I have seen a photo somewhere on here since that shows a 60 year old sitar(waiting for repair I think) that looks very similar from what it shows(will try find it again).
Have found it, is in Sitar & Surbahar, 'shots of very old sitars in Varanasi, 60+years oldie', the pegs for the two main strings on the sitar here are on the side, not at the front and the top of the instrument is some kind of bird/animal head, the pegs are spiral carved, it is dark wood, sorry not very good description
thankyou
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for some kind of description at least.
Do you know how to put digital photo attachments on emails though? You could send them to me at

trippymonkey@gmail.com

& I'll put them in one of my folders. I think your link here is from one of my posts earlier this year.

Nick
mayer141

Reply with quote  #8 
Your an star Nick!...Love to see the pics.
Jon
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.