INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
Ramesh

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Everyone,

Namaskar. Im going to Varanasi this coming Feb and Im really hoping to get a Surbahar? Ive made some correspondence with Radhey Shyam Sharmaji 2 years ago but he no longer replies to my emails. His website is also down. Im aware it will take at least 5-6 mos to make a Surbahar.
Any suggestion or contact of other makers? Maybe Nitai Chand or Mohan Lal Sharma?Or does anyone have Radhey Shyam Sharma's new email or contact?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you so much,
Ramesh

Reply with quote  #2 
Looks like Radhey posted just a few days ago on his FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/radheyshyams1

I bought one of his surbahars from Lars a few years ago.  It's a fine instrument.

I've never played a Nitai Chand but they are beautiful.  Love the lotus carving.  Might be the same carver Radhey uses.

Ramesh

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you so much for the tip Katyrow. I dont use facebook but I'll try to contact him through messenger.

And yes I heard alot of good things about Nitai Chand's work as well.If only they're on the internet 😟

Reply with quote  #4 
Ramesh there are two threads in this forum that include things about the late Nitai Chand. They are:

https://forum.chandrakantha.com/post/nitai-chandra-nath-8670248

https://forum.chandrakantha.com/post/nitai-chandra-nath-sitar-8674179

I knew him personally while I was a student of Sitar in Varanasi in the seventies, and he was good. His son now manages the work.
Best
Sanjeeb
http://www.sanjeebsircar.com

Ramesh

Reply with quote  #5 
Namaskar Sanjeebji,

Thanks alot for the links.I really appreciate it.
I might actually be able to travel to Kolkata.Can you recommend any local Surbahar maker?I mean aside from Barun Roy,Manoj and Hemen's son? I got a sitar from Mangla Prasad Sharma back in '08 and while its a really nice instrument there was a minor issue with it.
A few years back I also ordered a sitar from one of the famous makers in Miraj and again while it was a nice instrument it wasnt up to my specifications despite all the emails and phone calls I made from abroad (wrong design, wrong jawari set up).
So this time Im hoping to get everything right so Im trying my luck in Varanasi and maybe Kolkata again.

Om Shanti,
Ramesh

Reply with quote  #6 
For what it is worth - a few months ago I received my surbahar from Mohan Lal/Rajesh Sharma. I waited quite some time for it to be finished, but it is a superb instrument. Construction is pristine, setup is air tight, and the sound quality is excellent. "Out of the box" it is one of the finest instruments I have played, and I can tell that it will age well. 
Ramesh

Reply with quote  #7 
Hello Tomek,

Thank you so much for your input. I greatly appreciate it.
I've sent you a pm. Please check your inbox.
Namaste🙏

Ramesh

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh
Namaskar Sanjeebji,

Thanks alot for the links.I really appreciate it.
I might actually be able to travel to Kolkata.Can you recommend any local Surbahar maker?I mean aside from Barun Roy,Manoj and Hemen's son? I got a sitar from Mangla Prasad Sharma back in '08 and while its a really nice instrument there was a minor issue with it.
A few years back I also ordered a sitar from one of the famous makers in Miraj and again while it was a nice instrument it wasnt up to my specifications despite all the emails and phone calls I made from abroad (wrong design, wrong jawari set up).
So this time Im hoping to get everything right so Im trying my luck in Varanasi and maybe Kolkata again.

Om Shanti,
Ramesh

Afraid I dont know much about the Calcutta scenario though I believe you should be able to get a good instrument there if you contact the maker in advance as also in Beneras.
Best Sanjeeb
westsea

Reply with quote  #9 
I suggest you also check out Altab, in Miraj. 
http://www.altabsitarmaker.com/

He does exceptionally beautiful work.  I had two Rudra Veenas built
by him, a bamboo and a teak, and all of the long lists of specifications were
perfectly filled.  Surbahar is a Dhrupad instrument, so why not let the master
of that genre build it?

Be careful with Tarak, Nitai's son, if you decide that way.
Ramesh

Reply with quote  #10 
Hello Westsea,

Thank you so much for the input. I've heard of Altab years ago when I got interested in Dhrupad. Almost got myself a Rudra Veena actually. I will definitely try to contact him.
Again,thanks alot. Namaste 🙏

Sanjeebji,

Shukriya🙏

Ramesh

Reply with quote  #11 
I'll be in Varanasi from mid jan to end of march. I can certainly help you find a very fine surbahar there. I have one I left out there for me to play when I go over from the UK.
Where are you based, if I may ask?

Nick
Ramesh

Reply with quote  #12 
Hello Nick,

Thank you so much for the offer to help me find a good Surbahar.I really appreciate it.
My concern though is the availability of it.From my understanding Surbahars take months to get done.And whatever Surbahar sitting on the local shops may already have been commissioned by someone else. Im trying to make contact with Rajesh Sharma Im just waiting for my phone company to change my subscription plan so I could make international calls.
As for me,Im from the Philippines but Im currently in the US.
Also,arent you also Trippy Monkey? If yes then I would be greatly honored to personally meet the man behind the legend! ☺
Whether I end up getting my Surbahar in Miraj(as another forum member suggested) or not,I will definitely visit Benares. I'll keep in touch with you through PM ,Maharaji.

Ramesh

Reply with quote  #13 
Chinta maat karo bhaiya. Koi baat nahi. !!!!
There are several at my friend, Vijay's, shop at the moment. One is mine which I play when I'm IN Varanasi. Available though. Do you have some kind of budget?!?!?
I AM indeed THE Trippy Monkey of Indian Music infamy, for my sins & am looking forward to meeting you.
I know Rajesh & he's an EX artist but DOES charge for it. He's an absolute perfectionist or he WAS anyway.!!!!
You'll have SOOOOOO mush to see, enjoy & FREAK OUT about in Varanasi. I find it the best place for instruments & artists. Along with Kolkatta !!!!
BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE for now
Nick
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #14 
Check me out on Facebook with this link

https://www.facebook.com/nick.proctor.50
Ramesh

Reply with quote  #15 
Hello Nickji,

I will be sending you a PM in a while.And yes Im really looking forward to meeting you in Benares.
As for Facebook, Im currently out from it.Ive deactivated my account but might go back to it again as I am selling alot of belongings just to make this trip.
Again ,thanks for all the help Maharaji 🙏

Ramesh

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.