INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
Girija

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi I live outside India. To replace strings on Sitar is there any standard/International numbering system in vogue? Could I request members to suggest the way I could buy /order the strings by quoting the number (representing the thickness) of the string required?
Thank you
ThunderBass95

Reply with quote  #2 
Strings are rated by gauge and it will vary depending on skill level. A lighter gauge for beginners and heavier for intermediate and professional players. There are sets of strings you can buy from online dealers who would ship to your country. Labella makes complete set with 7 melody strings and 11 sympathetic strings. Musician's Mall in the USA also sells complete sets of strings for both Ravi Shankar and Vilayat Khan style. Just do a google search and you should be able to find a source. Good luck.[smile]
Girija

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you ThunderBass95. Will try online as suggested.
Regards
Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
In the US we use inches and/or gauge number. In Europe they'll use gauge or mm (metric).

Here is what's generally used:

Ravi Shankar style
1st).012 steel ~ 2nd).016 bronze ~ 3rd) .0225 bronze ~ 4th).0285 bronze ~ 5th) .011 steel ~ 6th) .009 steel ~ 7th).009 steel. Sympathetics are .009 steel 

Vilayat Khan style
1st).012 steel ~ 2nd).016 bronze ~ 3rd) .012 steel  4th) .011 steel ~ 5th) .009 steel ~ 6th).009 steel. Sympathetics are .009 steel x 13

I have bulk coils on the website which list in inches along with size (gauge) number as well.

Reply with quote  #5 
Lars -- What's your view on using .010 instead of .009 for the tarabs?
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #6 
You'll be hearing your sitar creak in pain when you pull a meend ?!?!!??

Nick aka trippymonkey
Girija

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Lars for your response.
Could I please get an estimation of cost for 7 main strings and 11 sympathetic, to be posted out to Australia?
My sitar is a basic student trainer one. Cannot say for sure that it is Ravishankar or Vilayat Khan style. Somewhere in between I guess.
You mentioned about availability of bulk coils on your website.- couldn’t get website details in your post.
Would appreciate details please?
Lars

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyrow
Lars -- What's your view on using .010 instead of .009 for the tarabs?

There is a popular maker who started this, my feeling is it was to keep the taraf strings quieter to compensate for a thinner body. I don't use them as I feel it's more stress on the structure but to each their own.

Lars

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girija
Thanks Lars for your response.
Could I please get an estimation of cost for 7 main strings and 11 sympathetic, to be posted out to Australia?
My sitar is a basic student trainer one. Cannot say for sure that it is Ravishankar or Vilayat Khan style. Somewhere in between I guess.
You mentioned about availability of bulk coils on your website.- couldn’t get website details in your post.
Would appreciate details please?

For anything involving orders, etc. please email me info@sitar-tabla.com and include some pictures as well or we can connect via Whatsapp if you like.

Thanks,

Lars

Reply with quote  #10 
Girija,

Here's another helpful thread about string gauges
https://forum.chandrakantha.com/post/sitar-string-gauges-8671977?highlight=string+gauges&pid=1296996720

To what note do you tune your Sa if i may ask? Sometimes different sitars sounds good in different tuning,and different tuning may require different gauges( this is specially true with studio sitars in my experience). All depending on the size and build.
Anyway here's another helpful thread.
https://forum.chandrakantha.com/post/tuning-sitar-to-c-c-or-d-8668440?highlight=string+gauges&pid=1296970001

Reply with quote  #11 
Also cant go wrong with Raincity/Larsji's strings.
Its the best in the West!☺🙏

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBass95
Strings are rated by gauge and it will vary depending on skill level. A lighter gauge for beginners and heavier for intermediate and professional players. >

Hmm. I don't think it necessarily has to do with the skill of the player. Just like on guitar or other string instruments some might prefer a lighter string some a medium some a heavy. The reasons for the gauge choice can be sound or playability. Or tuning in C# or D makes a difference in tension and also the scale of the neck and this can influence your choice of gauge. 012 is just medium gauge and what most people use. But you don't have to use that if you don't want to. You have a choice.

For one of my sitars in D I prefer 011 for example. 012 on that particular sitar puts too much stress on the neck and on the fingers. When in C# I prefer 012.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.