Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Shiv100

Reply with quote  #1 
***** BE VERY CAREFUL WITH SCALE CHANGER TABLA/PARMINDER UBHI******
***** OVERPRICED ******
***** BAD QUALITY *****
***** TERRIBLE SERVICE ******

Hi fellow budding tabla players and musicians, I would like to bring something very concerning to all of your attention based on a terrible experience with purchasing tablas from Scale Changer Tabla/Parminder Ubhi.

As you all maybe aware these new tablas have been on the market for a while and may have caught your eyes. I was due to buying a new set of tabla as my current tabla were quite old and I needed to upgrade.

After doing some research around Australia (where I am located) I couldn’t find anything that suited my liking in quality. I then looked online and eventually stumbled across Ubhi Industries/ Scale Changer Tablas. The product looked very nice so I decided to make some enquiries directly via Parminder Ubhis website (owner).

As I am based in Australia my main concern about importing a set of tabla was the following.

1)         Will Parminder Ubhi be able to provide me an original certified certificate stating the goods are treated and of clean nature, which is an important requirement in Australia. After exchanging numerous emails and conversation on phone with Parminder, I was assured that there will be a certified certificate and there will be no problem as he has done this many times. So based on this I felt comfortable to go ahead and take a calculated risk to buy from Parminder Ubhi. I again made very clear with Parminder, in order for me to purchase the tabla from him he must supply the correct certificate otherwise the goods will get damaged due to quarantine processes here in Australia. As I work in the import/export industry I am fully aware of the requirements here so I was very clear that he must fulfil my requirements as per contract otherwise it will be a very expensive exercise for me here and the tabla will end up damaged based on the going throught the quarantine process….. he promised that there will be no issue and the quality of the table he supplies is the best you can get….. how wrong he was…… Read On…
2)         I also wanted to ensure the quality was of very high quality as they are a very expensive purchase.

I put in my order on the 18th Dec 2014 and got an email from Parminder that my tabla will be despatched within 10 days….. This is where things started going pair shaped.

After 7 days or so passed I followed up to see how the progression is and when will they be despatched, I got a message from Parminder saying “the weather is bad so I haven’t had chance to send”… this seemed very strange to me but I agreed and said ok please despatch soon as I need them for a show coming up. He said he will, another week passed and there was a lack of contact again from Parminder, up until 1 whole month passed I finally got a tracking number.

As it took 1 month I was very worried and had a feeling once the goods arrive at the Fedex depot in Australia there will be issues. Well I was right as soon as they arrived at the Fedex depot I got a call from a customs officer saying the correct paperwork is not with the package and the goods will need to be quarantined at my cost ($290) or destroyed at my cost. I was very annoyed that Parminder did not fulfil what he promised and contacted him straight away. He continuously ignored my email/messages/calls until a few days passed and he said he will “see” what he can do.

A further 10 days passed and quarantine sent me a final demand letter saying the will either destroy them in 24hrs at my cost or forward to quarantine process them based on my decision. Parminder did nothing to help and kept on forwarding me to FEDEX and blaming them, very bad service from him, which I was experiencing throughout this process.

I was now stuck as I paid a lot of money for these tabla and was being asked to pay even more. I then had no choice but to contact Paypal who I used to purchase these tabla. After explaining the above to them, they said I should have NEVER used this supplier as he has not fulfilled the contract agreed and I have a case for a refund as the goods are held and will be damaged if received after quarantine. Paypal contacted Parminder and he still didn’t assist them. Eventually I received a refund after a lot of emails exchanged with them.

Parminder was uncontactable…. He ignored all my calls/messages and emails. After agreeing with customs to bear the cost of quarantine and receiving the tabla which will be damaged I had no choice but to pay the $290. I received the tabla after 2 weeks of quarratine process and opened the tabla. They seemed to be in good condition… but after playing them for approx. 30 minutes the Sihai completey cracked and the tabla were completely useless, they were of very bad quality. This was my main concern before importing…. So I am left with a void pair of tabla.

After that I received a message on facebook and saw a terrible message posted by Parminder-Scale Changer Tabla saying I have stolen tablas from him and making fraudulent claims. This is very unprofessional and absolute lies…. I went through the correct channels to ensure I receive the correct product and was very clear with my requirements, Parminder was not able to fulfil any of the requirements and ended up supplying very bad quality tablas which a lot of money was put on the table for.

The reason for my message to all of you is to be very careful of not using his services as the quality is just not good enough and a very unprofessional supplier to deal with. I wish I knew about TransTabla from the USA before I purchased these tablas. The Trans Tabla product is far superior to Scale Changers Tablas and the quality are miles apart. Parminder claims he has a copyright/patent to his product but that is just utter rubbish.

I urge you all to THINK TWICE before purchasing as he is not of international standard and the experience of dealing with such a unprofessional person is not a good memory or experience and I wish this on no one!

If you would like pictures or any further information feel free to contact me as I have all the evidence to prove to anyone that needs more info before thinking about purchasing these tablas from him.

Look forward to any discussion….
mangataot

Reply with quote  #2 
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I for one will wait till I can afford a Trans Tabla set up if I want the ability to change pitch easily.
Marc

Try them out at Tablalab.com
http://www.mecaudio.co.uk
VNO Design

Reply with quote  #3 
It saddens me to hear about this even though Parminder is basically in the same competing market that I am.

I handled one of his Scale Change Tablas while in Kolkata at Mukta Das's shop and was not at all impressed by the quality or durability of construction. His mechanical parts are undersized for the job and looked poorly made and prone to failure. I didn't even consider how his service might be, but hoped he would be much more forthcoming and open compared to other Tablawallas due to the skepticism about the product in general. I face the same issues, so communication with my customers is key.

I've never heard of the quarantine issue or been asked for a certificate yet, but it's good to know for potential buyers in Australia as I've been in touch with a few individuals out there. However I have no doubts about a TransTabla making it through.

I'm continually amazed at how this instrument is held back by the makers themselves due to lack of quality, standards, communication, and honest business practices. There are exceptions of course, but they seem to be few and far between.

Best of luck and I look forward to serving anyone interested with unparalleled customer service.

-David

Shawn

Reply with quote  #4 
Sorry you had to go through this. If you want excellent quality tabla in Australia with no fuss, you should contact Shen Flindell. He'll take care of you and you'll be really happy with the instruments you receive. (He doesn't sell scale changer tabla, though.)
http://www.facebook.com/tablamontreal
Bhagi

Reply with quote  #5 
I will second Shen Findell. I've only gotten super pudi's from him. You will not be disappointed.

Protest Warrior sign.
singhhh_ap

Reply with quote  #6 
Simple rules to follow when you are with Indian vendors.

1. Buy using Paypal as you can get your money back if they deliver bad product in most cases.

2. Never pay them cash or through Western Union etc unless they are authentic vendors and got proven record of delivering their products. They cheat on income taxes and try to sell you under the table. This is reason, they ask for cash transaction.
shen

Reply with quote  #7 
Many thanks to Shawn and Bhagi for your recommendations. I just had an enquiry as a result so I thought I'd update you all here.

I now have a website tablawala.com.au with photos, price list etc of our great stock from Benares tabla maker Anwar.

Shiv100, that's really sad news about your scale changing tabla. Dealing with quarantine can be such a pain in the neck. Ok future if they are not happy with your tabla/documentation I recommend not paying anything and asking them to keep the rawhide parts and just send you the shells. Then get new puri/wadi from me to restore it to like-new condition.

All the best!

My websites:
http://www.ethnosuperlounge.com
shenflindell.blogspot.com
shenweb.blogspot.com
Shiv100

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. Yes it is such a shame that I had a nightmare with Parminder. But you live and learn, Shen I will be in touch with you at some point. I have a few tablas which need doing and few of my friends and younger students are after tabla sets in Perth. We have someone that does them here but the quality is rubbish. What is your contact details? and can you re-head the tablas if we send them to you?...
shen

Reply with quote  #9 
Yes I can rehead tabla but if you're not local in Brisbane it might be more cost-effective to buy new drums, when you factor in the extra postage.
All the details including contact details are on the website:
tablawala.com.au

My websites:
http://www.ethnosuperlounge.com
shenflindell.blogspot.com
shenweb.blogspot.com
rch

Reply with quote  #10 
Sorry to hear about your plight with this Perinder fellow! I suggest you yelp this Perminder fellow with photo attachments of the tabla set.
Shiv100

Reply with quote  #11 
Yes I supplied photos to Parminder but he did not seem to care. Simply ignored my messages.
singhhh_ap

Reply with quote  #12 
Hello,

Please do the following so others can be aware of this bad vendor.

1. Find his Ebay page and rate him accordingly.
2. http://www.consumercourt.in/ - Post there
3. Find his business Facebook page and post over there.

I live in USA but there should be a way to report consumer complaints in India.
singhhh_ap

Reply with quote  #13 
Try the following to see if that can help you.

http://india.gov.in/lodge-complaint-online-national-consumer-helpline-portal
Lars

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "VNO
It saddens me to hear about this even though Parminder is basically in the same competing market that I am.

I handled one of his Scale Change Tablas while in Kolkata at Mukta Das's shop and was not at all impressed by the quality or durability of construction. His mechanical parts are undersized for the job and looked poorly made and prone to failure. I didn't even consider how his service might be, but hoped he would be much more forthcoming and open compared to other Tablawallas due to the skepticism about the product in general. I face the same issues, so communication with my customers is key.

I've never heard of the quarantine issue or been asked for a certificate yet, but it's good to know for potential buyers in Australia as I've been in touch with a few individuals out there. However I have no doubts about a TransTabla making it through.

I'm continually amazed at how this instrument is held back by the makers themselves due to lack of quality, standards, communication, and honest business practices. There are exceptions of course, but they seem to be few and far between.

Best of luck and I look forward to serving anyone interested with unparalleled customer service.

-David
David, I don't think fumigation is required shipping from the US to Oz or NZ. I have never had any issues shipping there but I know that from India it's required and not too expensive to do there.

Lars

Reply with quote  #15 
I see very good future of this type of Tabla within Hippies and Fusion artists. I think traditional masters and players may not adopt it anytime soon.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.