INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
KHRuppell

Reply with quote  #1 
I just received a 'travel' model Gandhar pancham sitar made by Ultimate Guru yesterday. Looks beautiful, but I noticed that it lacks the characteristic 'buzzing' sound on all strings, having a clean , totally 'closed' sound instead. I've ordered a replacement string set, but I don't think strings are the issue. I've read that you eventually have to file and sand the bridge with use to preserve the sound, but as a total amateur this is a daunting task. Are new bridges supposed to "break in" with use, or is jawari work needed? Both main and sympathetic bridges are made of ebony, if that makes any difference. If I need to rework the curve of the bridge, how should I best approach it?
Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
Gandhar pancham style is traditionally closed, most want it that way. The sympathetics can be open, usually better for a closed main bridge.

Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars
Gandhar pancham style is traditionally closed, most want it that way. The sympathetics can be open, usually better for a closed main bridge.

Lars

Thank you. It shouldn't be too hard if I only have to work the lower bridge, not having to worry about intonation.
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Just play the crap out of it and the buzz will start to happen soon....
KHRuppell

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend
Just play the crap out of it and the buzz will start to happen soon....

So I do have to break it in? I'll try a bit of filing on the taraf bridge to see if it helps too.
barend

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHRuppell

So I do have to break it in? I'll try a bit of filing on the taraf bridge to see if it helps too.

When you play a lot the main bridge will wear out eventually giving you more buzz. But that may take a while. When I practice I cover my bridge with these plastic protection sheets to prevent that. It saves the jawari to some extent.

When you don't know what you are doing I would suggest not filing the taraf bridge. It's very delicate work.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.