INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
sanjeev.567

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that we've started a new open source software project which aims to render realistic Tabla on a PC. The program is called Naad. Version 0.3 beta is now available.

http://code.google.com/p/naad
http://code.google.com/p/naad/downloads/list

This is free (as in air) for use, copying and modification. Anyone who is inclined may please contribute to this project. Any feedback and criticism is most welcome.

Regards
Sanjeev

Edit: Ver 0.3 is now available
rajabala

Reply with quote  #2 
hi dear...mac version?
sanjeev.567

Reply with quote  #3 
No Mac version at this time.
Hopefully someone will contribute to the project and will port it to Mac. I'll announce it as soon as it is available.
rajabala

Reply with quote  #4 
thanks ....
coughcapkittykat

Reply with quote  #5 
This looks very interesting. Thanks a lot, I'm going to start experimenting with it now
manmeet

Reply with quote  #6 
Pretty good for a light file. I layed tin taal out but it was playing something else on its own. I'll continue to play with it - right now I'm hooked to iTablaPro app and Thumbjam on my ipad/iphone. I do think the sound samples for the tabla are pretty good and the natural variances the program incorporates are pretty cool. I would be nice to have a standard set of taals in there ready to go. Keep chugging for now and thx...a lot!!!
sanjeev.567

Reply with quote  #7 
Hello Manmeet
and thanks for the feedback.
You can find some Taals in the folder named Taal (File->Open)

If you find that it is playing some other Bols instead of what you put there, then ensure that the Bol variation slider is at 0, it should play the original bols now.

The variation feature is still under construction, so just leave it at 0. Some other stuff will not work in this version, but will be completed in newer versions. You will get a pop-up everytime a new version is available online (All updates are free).
coughcapkittykat

Reply with quote  #8 
I *think* i noticed that the loops start slowly/oddly occasionally and sometimes don't seem to loopstoo neatly when the tempo has been changed. Seems to be most noticeable on the tanpura.

I can't seem to change the instrument and accompaniment 2 doesn't appear to work/do anything. Same for stereo and echo.

Having said this, I've only had a little play with it and I'm not a tabla person so may be just me not understanding it properly.

Is it possible to load other samples than tabla in to it? The reason I ask is that I make non-ICM electronic music as well and I love the Bol Variety and Randomness sliders, they are great fun and would be very handy for non-tabla uses.

Oh and can the tanpura be tuned to C sharp? And/or have fine adjustments added to it? I (and i think a lot of people) tune to C sharp so it would be quite useful.

Settings doesn't seem to do anything?

Sorry if any of this is expected behaviour ops: but as it is in beta i thought I would let you know the little things that I noticed with it.

Oh one last thing, it would be quite cool if this could be VST compatible too. I've no idea how difficult this is to do.
sanjeev.567

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi,

Yes, some of the menu commands and check boxes will not do anything, they are not implemented yet, just placeholders.
If there is any delay or timing problems even when the randomness is at 0, it can be due to your sound card. At very high BPMs it will show up more.
VST is a good idea, thank you , I'll put it on the todo list for now.
sanjeev.567

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi all,

Version 0.3 is now available. Please see the first post above for links.

~Sanjeev
Dhani_

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi,

I don't know how hard this would be to program, but I think something that would make this software a lot more flexible would be the ability to play bols simultaneously, which would allow more bayan modulations than the limited selection available in the bol combination categories(Dha, Dhun, Dhin, etc.). Is this possible?
sanjeev.567

Reply with quote  #12 
Development of this open source free tabla composer has been restarted. [smile]
Try the new release from here:

https://github.com/oormicreations/naad/releases

I may try to add support for playing two bols simultaneously as was suggested above by Dhani. The above release has no extra features, but there is an installer now.

Stay tuned for more releases. Thanks for testing the program and for your suggestions and feedback.
sanjeev.567

Reply with quote  #13 
Simultaneous bols feature is now added.
This is interesting because it allows you to play two bols from same drum at the same time (eg Dha+Ge) which is impossible in real world 😉
This actually gives an impression of two tabla player playing the same taal but different prakars.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.