INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Indian music friends,

I'm currently researching early Indian musical influence in Europe. It seems there is indeed some things we might have overlooked.
(Wouldn't be too weird, since the Portuguese were there already 500 years ago)

In the wake of that research, I may have finally answered the question why certain music of the early 17th century sounds weird and uses beat patterns of 5 or 10. I am quite certain that this Sonata by Giovanni Valentini is based on a Carnatic Raga:

But which one? It would have to be something like Neethimathi, but I could be wrong. It should be a Raga that has the possibility to shift between two tonal centers that are both a "minor" mode, and are one minor third apart. In this case, the Ga should be in a shruti that can be seen as a high Ri or a low Ga. (to facilitate something like enharmonics, as in the Sonata).
Or is this maybe a Ragamalika? I don't know the history of those, and how they really work.

Feel free to listen to some experiments I have done over the last months. (Beware though, they are pure mashups with just pitch adjustment in the European part - I dare not change the pitch of Indian Music)

If anyone here is from South India or very familiar with the cornucopia of Carnatic music, I would very much appreciate any cooperation in identifying Ragas of suspicious pieces.

Peace! T*

PS: I attached a photo of Marin Mersenne's description of a Rudravina (though without frets, which were probably lost on the voyage). It's from 1636.

Attached Images
png Rudravina - Marin Mersenne - De Instrumentis Harmonicis (1636).png (528.32 KB, 4 views)

Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #2 
Update:

It seems that Melakarta 69 "Dhatuvardhani" fits the requirements!

But alas, there is no recording to be found that lasts long enough to be merged with the Sonata.

Does anyone know where to get this?...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.