INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
katyrow

Reply with quote  #1 
Bought this as a project (no pegs, no bridges, no nut, cleaved face plate, etc.) Anyone recognize this decal or the remnant of the badge?  I've got a guess but am wondering what you folks think.  I think it's a store badge, not a maker badge.  Started making pegs for it before it arrived.

IMG_5791.jpg  IMG_5792.jpg  IMG_5793.jpg  IMG_5795.jpg    

Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
Guess is Sarat Sardar...but could be a generic instrument sold in a store also.

Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Lars!  You're right.  I checked the metal badge on my full dec Sarat Sardar and the "Selecta brand" logo is identical.  And Tony has photos of an older Sarat S surbahar in his museum with a decal badge that matches the remnants on this one.  Similar to the Khagen Sardar decal badges. 

_57 (5).jpg  IMG0156_Dtl2.jpg 

This is an older instrument with no tarabs and a convex dandi like a tanpura.  Should be fun to restore.  Planning to make replacement parts -- meru, bridges, peg heads -- out of resin to see how that works out.  Will make chick posts out of brass tube, which has worked well on past projects and seems to add a little shimmer.  The structure is solid and the tabli taps thick, so it should be interesting when done.  Thanks again.

katyrow

Reply with quote  #4 
Started on this one.  Rough shape.  Mice were living in the tumba at one point.  Remnants of a nest inside, and the teeth marks are visible on the hole in the gourd. IMG_5802.jpg  IMG_5804.jpg  IMG_5817.jpg 
Face plate is cleaved.  There was a long deep gouge in the tabli.  Sanded it to bare wood.

IMG_5826.jpg  IMG_5832.jpg  IMG_5857.jpg  IMG_5879.jpg 

desh

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for posting this; it's always inspiring to see others fix up their sitars! Just wondering what stain you used for the tabli? I am looking to refinish one a tanpura in a similar colour.  

Thanks in advance
katyrow

Reply with quote  #6 

No stain, just clear lacquer.  Fitting pegs now.  Will post some progress photos later.  

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.