INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
dhadhindhindha

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm a tabla student based in San Francisco, looking for other ICM students to practice with and/or accompany. I've been looking like crazy for a mailing list, facebook group, or other such place to find sitar players/vocalists/etc, but haven't had any luck. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Hilary
talamala

Reply with quote  #2 
Give a ring to Musicians Mall USA (formerly the Ali Akbar College of Music Store) in Berkeley and let them know of your dilemma. Maybe ask to post a paper call-out for instrumentalists/vocalists on the shore board? When I lived in the Bay the shop connected me with a very capable sitarist who became a friend and regular music partner.  

Also maybe stay tuned to Craigslist... There's bound to be more ads like this in days to come https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/muc/d/sitar-indian-classical/6423297110.html Shouldn't be too difficult to find a riyaz partner in the Bay, there are so many ICM students in the area.

Good luck on your search! 
dhadhindhindha

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks talamala! I actually stopped by the store a few months ago and made a really great sitar friend, but unfortunately he just moved away and I've been mourning his departure and trying to fill the hole [smile] Will have to give the store another try.
talamala

Reply with quote  #4 
Judging from your comment, I think we may have mutual great sitar friends [wink] Did he happen to head to SB for grad school?

Hope you find another ICMusical friend soon. Best wishes! 
dhadhindhindha

Reply with quote  #5 
haha, yes, it seems we have the same sitar friend! small world. 

I found a dilruba player a few blocks away from my apartment, so all is well [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.