INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
SaintMeek

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi. I just wanted to introduce myself. I am so very grateful for this forum. I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada's in California. As far as I know, there are no sitar teachers in this area, so I am currently focusing on Pandit Internet for most of my lessons. I am also working with the Josh Feinberg Hal Leonard book.

Several years ago a friend gave me a sitar, and I am just now getting into it. I have been in love with ICM for years now. Like so many Americans, I started with Ravi Shankar and the Beatles.

I'm currently focused on sitar, though there is a part of me that is very interested in dilruba. The bowing techniques are kind of intimidating, though.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say "Hey".

- Jon Meek (SaintMeek)

Reply with quote  #2 
welcome. I heartily recommend getting to any and as many DVDs from Lars at rain city music
SaintMeek

Reply with quote  #3 
Neal,

Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation!

I have been looking at the Rain City DVDs and I'm sold. Which one? I feel very pulled to the Raga Yaman Vol. 1, since that is the Raga I've been working on. I am so dying for more depth into specific Raga details. As I type this I may be answering my own question, since I'm thinking that I can't go wrong if I go with the Sitar Basics DVD. Can't have too strong of a foundation, right? I'm just worried that half of it will be info I already have.

Reply with quote  #4 
Welcome ! 
Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #5 
Get the basics DVD - if you haven't studied with someone in person, it helps give that element of having someone who knows what they are doing break down the foundational stuff, demonstrate it slowly, give exercises, and also demonstrate it in the context of actual music. You can see how it's supposed to look, the physical aspect, etc., and then see it at different speeds. 

While it is called basics, you will have your work cut out for you to really get that stuff up to snuff. Then the Sitar Technique DVDs will keep you busy for a few more years at least [smile]

Also, it is worth mentioning that the Ali Akbar Khan College of Music offers excellent online courses and private lessons. I attend both of these myself throughout the year, and the quality and depth is remarkable.

Welcome to the world of this beautiful music! Congrats on your first step - there are many that more ahead of you, and hard work with good instruction pays off remarkably. Good luck!
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #6 
Welcome indeed. Getting proper instruction is vital. Listening is also. YouTube has tons of quality concert clips and bedroom hackers. Just type a raga name and you will be flooded with choices. Sort out the good from the not so good and soak it all up. Play on ! ! !
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.