INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
Daniel Schlüsselberger

Reply with quote  #1 
Dear friends

I have to tighten some frets of my surbahar from Kanailal. Could anybody Tell me, what is the proper way - the Kanailal-way of tighten these frets?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Daniel

Attached Images
jpeg E1295DB6-B636-4067-B77E-DECF42F71427.jpeg (1.05 MB, 15 views)

musicslug

Reply with quote  #2 
in theory you can tighten the frets a little by stuffing little 'shims' under the string, but to do it right, you'll need to re-tie them.

you'll have to adapt the technique - instead of the strings going back and forth underneath the daand like they do on surbahar, they go all the way around on rudra veena - but this video shows how to do a tie with that little knot on the back.

http://www.rudraveena.org/hackleman.html
Daniel Schlüsselberger

Reply with quote  #3 
Tx. That is very helpful!
Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
If you shim your frets you may invite problems with the action if the setting is low or get back-buzzing as well. Scott Hackleman may have a diagram, on the ones I've overhauled I've forgotten how I did it but just followed the pattern on the ones that were already installed.

Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
Forgive me but I don't own (not yet at least [smile]) a surbahar, but am wondering why re-tying the frets on a surbahar would be any different than on a sitar?? Just curious.
Daniel Schlüsselberger

Reply with quote  #6 
There is a little knot at the other side of the fret. And it is all about to make this little knot, the rest is the same as tying a sitar-fret.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #7 
TWO knots on surbahar frets?!?!? Only ONE ever on all my sitar related instruments.
Never seen TWO knots.
Nick aka trippymonkey
musicslug

Reply with quote  #8 
KL tie - back.jpg  this is the back of a KL vina, but it's the same as on KL surbahars.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.